Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,703   Online: 947

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Could there be some way to combine a self-published printed book, with additional downloadable pdf illustrations where colour accuracy is required?

The downloadable pdfs might be easily worked into a subscription system, possibly in conjunction with lith printing resources.

Just a thought.

Matt

Tim
    I get a lot of digital printing coming in here for foil stamping. It ranges in quality from thick gooey stuff, which the foil simply melts into, to material which is hard to tell from 'real' printing, except that it scuffs.
    I would be inclined to get a friendly nearby printer with high end digital equipment to run a couple of test pages. My experience is that these machines produce very saturated colors and they may bulk up over the thickness of a book.
    Hard to beat a good Heidelberg offset press but my father did tell me once to ride a cow if a horse was unavailable. Most of my books get read and shelved but this one is in frequent use.
    Regards to Millward if you see him
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Large Format
    For ease and rapid dispersal, digital releases would be the way to go. PDF files can be locked in a variety of ways which also has the constant aggravation of people looking to bypass said locks and obtaining a free copy. For accurate color reproduction, actual print versions may be the only option.

One thought, in today's modern age and in the photography world being pushed into the digital age, I would think a majority of the people interested in this book probably have their computer workspace color calibrated. Its a guess but also something to consider for a digital print. Another plus for digital for Tim, since everything is done and unless anything is added, it could feasible go on sale right now from his website. Convert the book to PDF and post it in the for sale section, nothing else to do. Looking for a publisher, finding the right press and one that one that wants to print a niche market book, etc. will take time.

Me, I like to hold a book and read it, I really dislike reading from a computer screen, there is something to be said about the tactile nature of reading. Ok, I also own a record player, tube amplifiers and maybe even an 8-track...right alongside the betamax. :-).

my .02, I'll take the book however it is released as I cant get it now. Also, I am happy to see Tim is looking for a way to re-release his book.

Erick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think you are being a little overly protective about the color. I mean how many people look at the book now under ideal conditions? It is more important that you find an economical way to get it out there. You might want to consider making it a more detailed edition which would improve sales and legacy, since it will probably be the last one ever written on the subject. I am sure you will figure something out.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks everyone.
    Picking up some of the points without multiple reply emails;

PDFs. I have heard many tales of pirated copies from celebrity chef cooking books (I know people who have emailed them unsolicited to their whole mailing list including me) to academia. I also share the dislike of reading long texts from a screen, as mentioned by several.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tim rudman View Post
    PDFs. I have heard many tales of pirated copies from celebrity chef cooking books (I know people who have emailed them unsolicited to their whole mailing list including me) to academia. I also share the dislike of reading long texts from a screen, as mentioned by several.
    I totally agree. Digital versions are the quick'n'dirty thing to still your hunger, but as far as practical usability is concerned, they rank low for me. I'd way prefer a printed copy. And if the thing goes PoD, consider me an early buyer, too…

c ("late" to the game like so many others)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks everyone.
    I know of many cases of widespread pirating of PDFs so I'm cautious of that route.
    The question of colour fidelity is important I feel - also contrast for the step wedges etc. I have my Christmas cards made by a local printer, initially for our hospice fund. When they moved from press to digital for cards I immediately had to go through many proofs each year to get even close. That is for a single print!
    Also, I was involved recently in a group PoD book and found that all our folios were seriously affected by the colours of other prints that shared each main sheet before cutting. This resulted in significant compromises when brilliant vibrant colour shared a sheet with subtle toning (for example). I know this happens with presses too but it appeared more of a problem with this particular digitally printed book.
    I have also heard that some PoD books vary sustantially from book to book.
    I would like to have this book in print again. I get many enquiries that I can't help with and I also think that information should be shared and available.

I quite like the idea of an upgraded version. I had planned some additional and perhaps more esoteric chapters but was understandable restricted for cost reasonswhen we reached around 200 pages. It would involve a good deal of work though and my feeling is that the bulk of an interested public have got the book and future sales would be small and hard to justify the extra work and time involved (I tend to be a bit of a compulsive retester & rewriter!).
    I take it that no one has experience Createspace?

Mark L: Will do. Did you know he just got married?
    Tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Put me down as another who would much prefer a real book from a real publisher over a pdf. There just has to be a publisher for a 2nd printing. As I mentioned before, I think it might be possible to get enough pre-orders to make a publisher take notice, assuming that the price won't be astronomical. Why not take pre-orders on APUG, Photo.net, etc.? You might be surprised at the number of people who are willing to commit to buying a well-printed book at a certain price point. At least, you'll never know until you try.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    35mm
    i would be interested in buying one if the price is right.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Being in the printing business, I would agree that controlling distribution (and Tim's "equity") of a pdf would be difficult.
    Re the printing - there are good quality digital printers, but quality is relative, from just having good saturation (crowd pleasing) to actually matching a known standard. A good printer might show relative color differences between sample illustrations, but none might look like it is intended, which, I think would be Tim's concern. This goes to color management profiles, which can be unique to each printer. The separations in Tim's digital master likely support the profile of the original printer (if color management was even used at the time of the original press run), and another printer might not output the same way (different color gamuts, reproduction curves, etc.) This is also an issue with pdf's viewed on hundreds of computer displays. It might be like giving a delicate cake recipe to two different bakers, with instructions, and expecting identical results from both kitchens - different ovens, raw materials (inks..) - you get the idea.
    Part of the project of another printing with a different printer ("output device", as it is known in color management speak), would be tweaking all the separations to make them look like the original printing, if I read correctly Tim's comment about color fidelity.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin