Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,163   Online: 816

Page 1 of 22 123456711 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Advice sought. The Photographers Toning Book reprinting options.

I'm not sure where to post this but this seemed the most appropriate forum.

I have had many enquiries and well meaning suggestions about the unavailability of this book and the very high prices asked for copies on the internet ($999.99 was the last quote sent to me, although I know there are cheaper copies out there).

It has been sold out for some time now and sadly I do not have copies to offer. However, I do have the republication rights as the publisher does not wish to reprint what is inevitably seen as a niche and shrinking market.

I have been sitting on the publishers digital masters for a little while now and am starting to explore options for making it available again. I feel such information should be 'out there' and available and commercial pressures mean that the costs of another run is unlikely to be enthusiastically taken up by another publisher, especially in a recession (although i haven't approached one for some time).
    Digital print on demand seems to be the obvious choice but I have concerns about reproduction quality as faithful and consistent colour printing is especially important in a book like this (hence the unsuitability in my opinion of making available downloads to uncalibrated computers).

I have seen good and poor books from Blurb and would welcome wider views on this, but I have recently been directed to Amazon's 'Createspace' reprinting service, which is promoted for both new and out of print titles. Does anyone have experience of this please?
    I have made contact and I think that it might prove too expensive for this book as only a few colour images are included in the basic package, extra ones can be individually purchased - this book has 2 or 3 hundred if I remember correctly! Cost might therefore rule this option out unless I could negotiate a deal. However, I would need quality assurances. Does anybody have experience/suggestions etc?
    The link for Createspace is here

Many thanks in advance
    Tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How many copies of a new printing would have to sell in order to make a new printing by a normal publisher viable? Could it be done if 1,000 copies were pre-sold?
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I ruined my copy and was sad to find it unavailable
    when I went to replace it a few months ago -- I am
    delving deeper into sepia and would have appreciated
    the book's discussion and examples. I would buy a
    copy if it became available again -- it was a fantastic
    reference for the subject.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tim:

If you haver contacts in the retail side of the book business, including with photographic retailers, I would suggest seeing if they would assist you in convincing a publisher to re-print the book.

I purchased my copy from Glazer's in Seatlle. When I mentioned that it was out of print, and that you had indicated that a reprint was going to be difficult to arrange, the people at Glazer's expressed a high level of disappointment.

Matt

PS it is a great book!

PPS I wonder if Ralph Lambrecht and/or his publisher could help?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have a look at alternativephotography.com/books I don't have any experience with them except as a customer. I just purchased their 2010 calendar which is printed on demand by Lulu.com and that will hopefully arrive any day now. I bought a photo related book a couple of years ago from Lulu (JPG Early Issues) and was happy enough with the quality.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Tim:
    There are lots of publishers out there that I think would be eager to print your book. I, for one, would love to have it in any form! DVD or PDF sold from your website would be easy if you are looking to self publish. I wouldn't worry about color reproduction as "every one's results may vary". The pictures are great but I am looking for the information that goes with them! Keep us informed and count me in for at least one copy.

Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I second the Lulu suggestion. I've also purchased several photo related books from them and was happy with both the quality and delivery.

Ash

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As a limited consumer of PoD books:

On balance I think Blurb produces better work than Lulu, based on books I have from both. I have some colour blindness, so some of the subtleties would pass me by anyway 8-)

I suppose if each illustration included a neutral gray patch any casts would be apparent (to those with normal colour vision at least).
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    How many copies of a new printing would have to sell in order to make a new printing by a normal publisher viable? Could it be done if 1,000 copies were pre-sold?
    Oh, I think so Chazzy. When it 1st sold out, in the UK 18 months after publication, there was a suggestion from two retailers that they might order 500 each and the publisher was interested at that time. They didn't follow through though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by flash26c View Post
    Tim:
    There are lots of publishers out there that I think would be eager to print your book.
    I, for one, would love to have it in any form! DVD or PDF sold from your website would be easy if you are looking to self publish. SNIP SNIP>>>
    Ron
    It would be nice to think so Ron, but I don't know that is actually the case. Times are hard right now in publishing as elsewhere.

Secondly, the idea of selling pdfs has been put to me and I do have an open mind but also have reservations about colour fidelity being beyond control and that is important for toning illustrations.
    Tim

Page 1 of 22 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin