Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,656   Online: 1111

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Another color lab, Calypso quits

Calypso Imaging, Inc., of Santa Cruz CA, formerly Calypso Color Lab of Sunnyvale, CA used to be my main color lab offering excellent processing and service. Now they are going out of business. It's owner, Joe Levine, said, "The vast majority of our competitors are long gone from the market place, driven out by technological improvements and the ease of entry into inkjet printing, the rapid demise of film, constant downward pricing, and the general lack of discretionary income." They offered great E6 processing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This seems to be a trend. I guess we're going to have to do our own E-6 processing. We could do C-41 too, but I'm not interested in color printing. Just too complicated.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Images
    OW!

I am just getting back into color and that is where I sent stuff last year. Even have a box ready to go to them. Looks like I will be sending to the folks in Utah. Just can't remember their names right now. In Salt lake City. They come highly recommended.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So who do we use for a replacement? Have one you like for mail order?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use AgX Imaging- high quality, personal attention, good pricing, reasonable shipping costs.

http://www.agximaging.com/

Rick

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I use to be with one of Calypso's competitors. Custom Color of Palo Atlo, Calif. What Joe says is true. Hear him well, I say.
    I have one lab here in Portland, Oregon now that still does dip and dunk E-6 and C-41. That is Citizen's Photo. If they go then I will have to look around for some place as many of you will. But Citizen's also stopped their RA4 printing. They have gone to inkjet. Which brings me a whole new problem.
    I have honored APUG 100% analog rule in the gallery section. I have not shared any new work I have made for sometime. I know that I could share work on APUG sister website Hybridphoto but the traffic there is limited compared to APUG gallery or do a scan neg only. I kind of wish that the rules be open to color photographers since we are feeling the blunt of digital output far more then our B&W practitioners.
    For those of you looking for a dip and dunk processors in the Pacific Northwest region. Look to Citizens' the crew there is nice and the process is clean. If you wish I will offer my service to deliver your film in person and send the film back as well. You'll have to pay for shipping the processing of course.
    Thanks
    R
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"
    Aristotle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here is a link for http://www.citizensphoto.com/
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    That's unfortunate. They were by all accounts and work that I've seen from them, a good lab.

In New York Duggal is still running a brisk E-6 line. They don't particularly advertise mail order service, but they do handle it. www.duggal.com
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I used to send all my E-6 to Capitol Color Lab in Washington DC. Their website was e6filmprocessing.com if I recall correctly. Superb people, great results. Then one day I went to their website and there was a message that read something like: "Well, it's time for me to go. Maybe I'll come back when this digital infatuation blows over. Thanks to everyone." and they were gone. It always hurts to see a store you use go under, whether mail order or local.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Another vote for Citizen's, good work and reasonable prices.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin