Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,515   Posts: 1,543,725   Online: 905
      
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    slumry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    127

    Kodak makes a profit!

    It is now OK to use the name Kodak and the work profit in the same sentence. Quarterly results show a profit of $443 million, of which film accounted for $53 million. Sales were up 6 percent for Kodak; however, film sales dropped another 10%. I should have bought stock yesterday.

  2. #2
    Christopher Walrath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Milton, DE, USA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    6,980
    Blog Entries
    29
    Images
    19
    Posted wirelessly..

    The film profit percentage has been increasing more or less for the past two years. But the total sales keep dwindling for film related business so the percentage keeps climbing while the dollar signs continue to drop.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

    "Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Horsham, PA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    751
    1. The profit is probably a one-time shot. A hell of a lot of revenue was derived from one-time IP settlements. Unless the pending lawsuits result in licensing instead of a lump-sum and done payment, the losses will return.
    2. Perez is still intent on selling his soul to the inkjet gods. This can only end badly, as people are not buying printers in general. They are more likely to share pictures online than print them, and for text, people ar starting to buy $99 laser printers with a cartridge that lasts for thousands of sheets. Even when people do go inkjet, it is cheaper to just buy the $40 Epson and throw it out each time the ink runs out than buy a $200 Kodak with cheaper ink.
    3. Although the film business lost 10%, forecasts were looking at closer to 30%, so this is better than expected.

  4. #4
    tiberiustibz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tufts University
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,750
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by nickrapak View Post
    Even when people do go inkjet, it is cheaper to just buy the $40 Epson and throw it out each time the ink runs out than buy a $200 Kodak with cheaper ink.
    That is an excellent point. Another reason why I use an enlarger.
    --Nicholas Andre

  5. #5
    Photo Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    23,014
    Images
    65
    If you look at these figures consider that a year or so ago, film contributed to 50% of the income and now it is below 50% if those figures are correct. I have not looked it up.

    So, from those figures, digital sales are topping analog sales. Of course, as noted, this includes some of the infringement settlements.

    PE

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    861
    Film revenues roughly 1/3, though passed up a bit by Graphic Communications Group. Their GCC groups might do better this quarter, as some increase in commercial printing is taking place. I would expect more from that division in the longer run, than I would from their consumer digital imaging and inkjet group, because commercial printing is much more profitable. Purely my own feeling is that I would not invest in Kodak while Perez is still the CEO.

  7. #7
    Terrence Brennan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by slumry View Post
    It is now OK to use the name Kodak and the work profit in the same sentence. Quarterly results show a profit of $443 million, of which film accounted for $53 million. Sales were up 6 percent for Kodak; however, film sales dropped another 10%. I should have bought stock yesterday.
    And I should have sold my stock years ago, when it was worth something...

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cambridge, MA USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    895
    Quote Originally Posted by nickrapak View Post
    1. The profit is probably a one-time shot. A hell of a lot of revenue was derived from one-time IP settlements. Unless the pending lawsuits result in licensing instead of a lump-sum and done payment, the losses will return.
    2. Perez is still intent on selling his soul to the inkjet gods. This can only end badly, as people are not buying printers in general. They are more likely to share pictures online than print them, and for text, people ar starting to buy $99 laser printers with a cartridge that lasts for thousands of sheets. Even when people do go inkjet, it is cheaper to just buy the $40 Epson and throw it out each time the ink runs out than buy a $200 Kodak with cheaper ink.
    3. Although the film business lost 10%, forecasts were looking at closer to 30%, so this is better than expected.
    There is a one-time shot related to the sale of the OLED division (which Kodak was never going to be able to sink adequate cash into to grow much).

    However, the IP settlements should bring in recurring licensing revenue for several years to come.

    The consumer photo inkjet business, by the way, is now lazily trending downward. Most digitally-captured photos are now displayed via transmission medium (monitors, digital picture frames, smart phones, etc.) rather than reflection prints. This is not good news for EK and it will also affect Harman, too.

    It's my understanding that the film business was helped by increased cinematic film demand.
    Digital Photography is just "why-tech" not "high tech"..



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin