Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,904   Posts: 1,584,573   Online: 1046

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    If they charged you duty, it would have been wise to appeal the assessment. Film is not dutiable.
    Great to know!

Is it the same with paper?

But I doubt it is with Cameras, is it?

K

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For Film, and based on a cursory internet searches:

If the country of origin for the film is one of the countries that attracts a "Most Favoured Nation" ("MFN") tariff, the film will be subject to a 6.5% tariff.

If the country of origin for the film is a country that attracts another, preferential tariff, then that tariff would apply.

The US and Mexico attract a tariff arising from the North American Free Trade agreement. As such, US/Mexican film (Kodak) is imported duty free.

IIRC, Japan and Germany are MFN countries, so the 6.5% in duty would be charged.

The "Country of Origin" is the country where the film is manufactured - not the country where you may have purchased the film.

The preferential tariff agreements are long, complex, dense and very boring documents.

There are similar complexities involved in importing cameras - I just wasn't as successful in my cursory searches .

Matt

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    If they charged you duty, it would have been wise to appeal the assessment. Film is not dutiable.
    I DID query it and was told I was lucky I wasn't charged more! Left me with the impression that you are totally at the mercy of the person who processes your package. Gotta hope whoever it was didn't start the day with a marital spat, or being cut off in traffic.

The country of origin was Germany - I ordered from the manufacturer to "save money".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    For Film, and based on a cursory internet searches:

If the country of origin for the film is one of the countries that attracts a "Most Favoured Nation" ("MFN") tariff, the film will be subject to a 6.5% tariff.

If the country of origin for the film is a country that attracts another, preferential tariff, then that tariff would apply.

The US and Mexico attract a tariff arising from the North American Free Trade agreement. As such, US/Mexican film (Kodak) is imported duty free.

IIRC, Japan and Germany are MFN countries, so the 6.5% in duty would be charged.

The "Country of Origin" is the country where the film is manufactured - not the country where you may have purchased the film.

The preferential tariff agreements are long, complex, dense and very boring documents.

There are similar complexities involved in importing cameras - I just wasn't as successful in my cursory searches .

Matt
    Why are we still paying a 6.5% tariff considering the Kodak Plant in Toronto was torn down a few years ago?
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    Why are we still paying a 6.5% tariff considering the Kodak Plant in Toronto was torn down a few years ago?
    I don't know Bill - it's not my fault !

The main purpose of tariffs is to raise revenues.

In addition, tariffs also serve to protect certain industries.

I expect (and it is just a guess) that one of the reasons we still have a tariff on non-US film is that it maintains the benefit of NAFTA.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I read somewhere all the tariffs raised on consumer goods and I am talking everything from photographic supplies to clothing do not amount to much in terms of revenue. The Canadian Treasury's main sources of funds are income tax and the GST.

I don't have an issue paying the sales taxes. I do however have a big issue paying tariffs to protect either an industry that does not exist anymore or has hardly any impact on the Canadian economy.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    35mm
    Yeah, whenever I order anything via UPS or FedEx I get saddled with the most outrageous "brokerage fees," sometimes equal to like half the value of the item.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin