Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,914   Posts: 1,584,704   Online: 744

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Anyone from Canada ordered directly from Fotoimpex?

Hi All,

I was considergin ordering some MCC paper and some film from Fotoimpex in Berlin.

The exchange rate/prices are a bit better than ordering from freestyle.

Does anyone has experience with that? Customs fee if any?

Thanks!

J

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Never ordered from them but in my experience anything under $100 usually gets through CSBA without charges.
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No duty, 5% GST plus provincial tax, if any, and a $5 fee from Canada Post (if it's sent by mail). Strictly speaking anything over $25 Canadian is subject to tax. I haven't had the good luck that thebanana has - I just ordered some fountain pen stuff from the UK and it was taxed, even though the purchase was only 26 UK pounds.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's definitely hit and miss.
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No duty, 5% GST plus provincial tax, if any, and a $5 fee from Canada Post (if it's sent by mail). Strictly speaking anything over $25 Canadian is subject to tax.

And it doesn't matter where it's coming from, really. I've ordered photo stuff from all over the world (UK, Germany, US, Japan, etc) and most times I have to pay something, but once in a while, I don't. Just assume that you'll have to, and be grateful if you don't.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I ordered $300 worth of film from Germany once and paid $80 in duty and taxes. Quite a shock!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    I ordered $300 worth of film from Germany once and paid $80 in duty and taxes. Quite a shock!
    Were you using Post or UPS ?

That worries me a little bit...

K

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Use post, not couriers - they ding you on charges.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Post. Always avoid UPS.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    If they charged you duty, it would have been wise to appeal the assessment. Film is not dutiable.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin