Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,546   Posts: 1,544,515   Online: 1142
      
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 146
  1. #11
    Chazzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    South Bend, IN, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,854
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Anon Ymous View Post
    Do you remember the expired film donation from Kodak? They also gave some Ektar 100 (obviously fresh) for free along with the expired ones. Does that count as promo?
    Yes, I have to admit that that was an excellent idea and created a lot of good will for the Kodak brand. They need to do a lot more thinking about marketing on the Internet.
    Charles Hohenstein

  2. #12
    Dan Henderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Blue Ridge, Virginia, USA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,891
    Images
    241
    Call me Pollyanna, but I think that while it is too bad that once-venerable Kodak materials are gone or going, their withdrawal from the market leaves more customers for Ilford and other manufacturers, strengthening their ability to serve analog photographers.


    web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

    blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

    I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    213
    i had just started using it and now the stop makeing it ! oh well i will go back to ilford.
    mitch brown

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Central NC
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    444
    Quote Originally Posted by dr5chrome View Post
    Surely these grown men and women know how to do their jobs.
    In fact, they do. Far better than *you* know how to do their jobs. Grow up Dr5chrome. Quit throwing tantrums in public. It's unseemly. If you can't or won't grow up at least STFU. Acting out like this reflects badly on all us film users.
    Bruce Watson
    AchromaticArts.com

  5. #15
    Chazzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    South Bend, IN, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,854
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    In fact, they do. Far better than *you* know how to do their jobs. Grow up Dr5chrome. Quit throwing tantrums in public. It's unseemly. If you can't or won't grow up at least STFU. Acting out like this reflects badly on all us film users.
    I disagree. And I find your personal attack to be unseemly.
    Charles Hohenstein

  6. #16
    David Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    near Dallas, TX USA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    3,301
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by dr5chrome View Post
    TXP is one of the best B&W films on the market. I don't think that there is much of an argument to this fact in this arena.
    Well, maybe a little bit of an argument. I never liked TXP or used 220 film. I guess I am the only one.

    But since the entire rest of the world was using TXP, they still (apparently) weren't buying enough of it.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN US
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,275
    Images
    4
    While the TXP decision may or may not be a tactical error, the fact is that film is a niche business now and becoming more and more a niche business with declining volumes. Large companies typically do not serve niche markets well. The future of Kodak's film business is quite clear: fewer offerings, simpler product mix, eventual sale of the business either as an ongoing entity or for it's intellectual property.

    In fact, overall Kodak could be faulted for too much emphasis on film and not capitalizing on digital. Basically, either they got blindsided or failed in their response. You can't ignore the fact that up until the mid 90s Kodak basically tracked the S&P 500 but since then has significantly underperformed against that index.

    We need to get used to fewer suppliers and new (smaller) suppliers. Perhaps with less product innovation. Personally I'm less concerned with declining or even flat innovation than I am with new suppliers who don't have the product and process quality skills that a Kodak (or Ilford or Fuji) has. It takes a while to develop - look at the rise in product quality for Japanese auto manufacturing in the 80s and Korean auto manufacturing in the last 10 yrs.
    Last edited by mgb74; 02-09-2010 at 09:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.

  8. #18
    Christopher Walrath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Milton, DE, USA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    6,980
    Blog Entries
    29
    Images
    19
    Posted wirelessly..

    Back in 2003, IIRC, the Great Yellow Father announced that they would remove themselves from the FILM business in seven years. Looks like they're right about on schedule to me.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

    "Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

  9. #19
    viridari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina [USA]
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    330
    Images
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by apconan View Post
    I don't think you're in a position to call them dim-witted with such glaring typos in your post.
    When you cannot find good footing to attack your opponent on the weakness of their argument, go then for the easy target of their spelling and grammatical errors.

    I don't think I saw that in Sun-Tzu.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    In fact, they do. Far better than *you* know how to do their jobs. Grow up Dr5chrome. Quit throwing tantrums in public. It's unseemly. If you can't or won't grow up at least STFU. Acting out like this reflects badly on all us film users.
    i would think that acting out like THIS reflects badly on any person...

    While I agree that Kodak could do much more in terms of marketing, their reluctance to do so is only one more hint of where their film business is headed. However, there is still hope that they will continue to produce that other lovely Tri-X forever...

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin