Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,546   Posts: 1,544,515   Online: 1142

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anon Ymous View Post
    Do you remember the expired film donation from Kodak? They also gave some Ektar 100 (obviously fresh) for free along with the expired ones. Does that count as promo?
    Yes, I have to admit that that was an excellent idea and created a lot of good will for the Kodak brand. They need to do a lot more thinking about marketing on the Internet.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Call me Pollyanna, but I think that while it is too bad that once-venerable Kodak materials are gone or going, their withdrawal from the market leaves more customers for Ilford and other manufacturers, strengthening their ability to serve analog photographers.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    i had just started using it and now the stop makeing it ! oh well i will go back to ilford.
    mitch brown

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dr5chrome View Post
    Surely these grown men and women know how to do their jobs.
    In fact, they do. Far better than *you* know how to do their jobs. Grow up Dr5chrome. Quit throwing tantrums in public. It's unseemly. If you can't or won't grow up at least STFU. Acting out like this reflects badly on all us film users.
    Bruce Watson
    AchromaticArts.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    In fact, they do. Far better than *you* know how to do their jobs. Grow up Dr5chrome. Quit throwing tantrums in public. It's unseemly. If you can't or won't grow up at least STFU. Acting out like this reflects badly on all us film users.
    I disagree. And I find your personal attack to be unseemly.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dr5chrome View Post
    TXP is one of the best B&W films on the market. I don't think that there is much of an argument to this fact in this arena.
    Well, maybe a little bit of an argument. I never liked TXP or used 220 film. I guess I am the only one.

But since the entire rest of the world was using TXP, they still (apparently) weren't buying enough of it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While the TXP decision may or may not be a tactical error, the fact is that film is a niche business now and becoming more and more a niche business with declining volumes. Large companies typically do not serve niche markets well. The future of Kodak's film business is quite clear: fewer offerings, simpler product mix, eventual sale of the business either as an ongoing entity or for it's intellectual property.

In fact, overall Kodak could be faulted for too much emphasis on film and not capitalizing on digital. Basically, either they got blindsided or failed in their response. You can't ignore the fact that up until the mid 90s Kodak basically tracked the S&P 500 but since then has significantly underperformed against that index.

We need to get used to fewer suppliers and new (smaller) suppliers. Perhaps with less product innovation. Personally I'm less concerned with declining or even flat innovation than I am with new suppliers who don't have the product and process quality skills that a Kodak (or Ilford or Fuji) has. It takes a while to develop - look at the rise in product quality for Japanese auto manufacturing in the 80s and Korean auto manufacturing in the last 10 yrs.
    Last edited by mgb74; 02-09-2010 at 09:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Posted wirelessly..

Back in 2003, IIRC, the Great Yellow Father announced that they would remove themselves from the FILM business in seven years. Looks like they're right about on schedule to me.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by apconan View Post
    I don't think you're in a position to call them dim-witted with such glaring typos in your post.
    When you cannot find good footing to attack your opponent on the weakness of their argument, go then for the easy target of their spelling and grammatical errors.

I don't think I saw that in Sun-Tzu.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    i would think that acting out like THIS reflects badly on any person...

While I agree that Kodak could do much more in terms of marketing, their reluctance to do so is only one more hint of where their film business is headed. However, there is still hope that they will continue to produce that other lovely Tri-X forever...

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin