Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,781   Posts: 1,671,227   Online: 894

Page 1 of 15 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Corporations and Big Boobs – A commentary.

In light of the recent announcement that Kodak was giving the AX to TXP roll film, I just could no longer keep my mouth shut.

TXP is one of the best B&W films on the market. I don't think that there is much of an argument to this fact in this arena. This has to be the stupidest move I have ever seen a company make! To Delete the best product out of their line is truly short sided & dim-witted.

Surly These grown men and women know how to do their jobs. In this circumstance, this is not just a numbers game. Today there are allot less knowledgeable people about film because of the digital market, let alone the many who simply don't know that there are 2 TriX films. As a lab I cant tell you how many times I have to explain this fact.
    The facts are that Kodak themselves caused the failure and low sales of TXP by not effectively marketing the 2 separate films.

It is my opinion that Kodak should do a better job in marketing TXP before even considering eliminating this staple film, but given a choice between 'TX' & 'TXP', Kodak should pick the better of these 2 films and make TXP the "TriX" film across the board.

I think it is time for Kodak to sell their film division as ILFORD did. We will be less likely to see Corporation-boobs discontinue anymore films. There is no reason Kodak can not make limited runs of this emulsion instead of totally wiping off the map.

dr5
    Last edited by dr5chrome; 02-09-2010 at 12:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just wish that Kodak respected its customers enough to announce the discontinuation of its films BEFORE they stop coating AND wait for remaining stock to dwindle, like all other film companies have done/do. They have a bad habit of doing that with other products/services, as well. That is what bothers me the most, not their lack of appropriate marketing or actual cessation of production.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't think you're in a position to call them dim-witted with such glaring typos in your post.

Also, I think you need a better understanding of the business world.
    "There is no reason Kodak can not make limited runs"
    Yes, there is. It's called economies of scale.
    You are not smarter than Kodak's entire board and high-level management.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by apconan View Post
    I don't think you're in a position to call them dim-witted with such glaring typos in your post.
    Whilst I am sometimes one of the first to point out spelling and grammar mistakes, it is always done light heartedly.

In this case DR5 is making a serious point which is his opinion on the matter of stopping TXP production. The incorrect use of short sided, surly and and allot does not subtract from the point he is making.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dr5chrome View Post
    The facts are that Kodak themselves caused the failure and low sales of TXP by not effectively marketing the 2 separate films.
    As I've stated before, and as is their right to do so, Kodak upper management have already told us - the film-buying portion of their customer base - precisely which direction they wish to take their company in the long term. And their follow-on actions with regard to the film-based members of their product portfolio continue to directly support their own public statements.

When the highest levels of management at Kodak stated that the film side of their business could disappear tomorrow and they wouldn't care, then your statement above becomes not a cause, but rather an effect.

And those here and elsewhere (not referring to you directly here) who bemoan the fact that "Kodak won't share with us their product plans until the very last moment" just haven't been listening. Kodak's management has been crystal clear on their plans both for their company and its future products.

In fact, the argument has been made with some merit that it was a tactical blunder on their part to share those plans as early as they did.

Ken
    "When making a portrait, my approach is quite the same as when I am portraying a rock. I do not wish to impose my personality upon the sitter, but, keeping myself open to receive reactions from his own special ego, record this with nothing added: except of course when I am working professionally, when money enters in,—then for a price, I become a liar..."

— Edward Weston, Daybooks, Vol. II, February 2, 1932

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with dr5: Kodak did a lousy job of marketing TXP. A lot of people didn't know what it was or what it could do. Probably a different and more well-known 220 film would have stood a better chance of surviving. If Kodak doesn't stop making excuses and find a way to adapt to a shrinking market, they are doomed.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think dr5 makes a good point that the name of the product was confusing. Kodak should have named it something other than Tri-X Pro so it was clear that it was a different emulsion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hooray for boobies. nuts to kodak

tri-x 320 i'll miss you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goldie View Post
    I think dr5 makes a good point that the name of the product was confusing. Kodak should have named it something other than Tri-X Pro so it was clear that it was a different emulsion.
    And then they should have marketed it in a way appropriate to the Internet age. Where are the people from Kodak on the photography websites? Why isn't Kodak an APUG partner or sponsor? When was the last time you saw an ad for Kodak film on Facebook?
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    And then they should have marketed it in a way appropriate to the Internet age. Where are the people from Kodak on the photography websites? Why isn't Kodak an APUG partner or sponsor? When was the last time you saw an ad for Kodak film on Facebook?
    Do you remember the expired film donation from Kodak? They also gave some Ektar 100 (obviously fresh) for free along with the expired ones. Does that count as promo?

Page 1 of 15 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin