Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,533   Posts: 1,544,001   Online: 1029

View Poll Results: Regarding Kodak's Film Division if sold. Do you believe it can survive and prosper?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes and I would you put my savings in it.

8 7.41%
  • Yes and I would you work for that new company.

10 9.26%
  • Yes and I would like to be part of the management team.

6 5.56%
  • Yes and I will commit to buying 160 square inches (2-rolls), of new stock, every week.

42 38.89%
  • No

42 38.89%
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    It strikes me that if Kodak's management become aware of this poll on a forum with nearly 39,000 film enthusiasts, and the inevitable outcome considering the questions asked, it will only add to the speed of film's demise.
    Kodak's management (and Ilford's, Fuji's, etc...) know a lot more about film's future than 39.000 speculators in this forum. Sorry, couldn't resist...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In this hypothetical scenario, if I were in charge of the now-independent film division, I would find some enthusiastic film photographers with knowledge of Internet and unconventional marketing and put them in charge of marketing. Hopefully one of the first things that they would do is to become a corporate sponsor of APUG and field questions from users the way that other sponsors do. HP Marketing fields questions on the large format forum and Photo.net; why not Kodak? (I wish that HP Marketing would be an APUG sponsor and participate here).
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I try not to worry about things that are beyond my control, whatever I feel about it, if it's going to happen I can't stop them.
    Very wise words

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    10+ years ago this might have been a wise solution, but now
    it is a bit late to cut off the healthy part from the dying ...
    Last edited by jnanian; 02-09-2010 at 08:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anon Ymous View Post
    Kodak's management (and Ilford's, Fuji's, etc...) know a lot more about film's future than 39.000 speculators in this forum. Sorry, couldn't resist...
    What I meant was Kodak films demise, if they knew so much about films future how did they allow themselves to get into to current situation ?
    Ben

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    They will dismantle it before selling it to lessen any competition to digital imaging. They did this with the remains of Ansco/GAF/ Anitech, bought it from international Paper and demolished the coating line and buildings...Evan Clarke

Shooter
    35mm
    What I meant was Kodak films demise, if they knew so much about films future how did they allow themselves to get into to current situation ?
    Given the insight of some knowledgeable members here, they failed to predict the rate of transition to digital. As a result, when they "rationalised" their coating facilities some years ago, they still used large machines. That means they're unable to produce small quantities of slow selling products. At the same time, Ilford had financial troubles and Agfa went the way of the dodo. So, it seems that many companies had trouble predicting the sweeping effect digital photography would have. So, is it really Kodak films demise? I don't think so, it's film's demise in general.

Shooter
    35mm
    in my opinion this poll actually is not asking me, if I believe Kodak's film division could survive and prosper, or not, if it was sold, but rather asking me, how important Kodak films are to me, or how much I personally like Kodak films.
    Among the choices given, I could not vote fore the option nr. 4, which seemes to be supposed to be the option closest to "No, I do not believe at all,that the Kodak film division could survive on its own".
    I personally did not really use Kodak films the last two or three years (except some rolls elitechrome, as it is on stock at the local drugstore), and also do not shoot two films every week, but I still may believe that it could survive and prosper.
    Not to speak of risking my wealth for my "faith" in the Kodak film division.
    So there is no option for me, and I think I am far away from being an extrem case concerning this topic. Maybe there are people who (for what reason ever) do not like Kodak films, but still strongly believe, the Kodak film devision could succesfully go its own ways. (maybe because they have a certain knowledge about the film-market and the importance of the brand Kodak or whatever)
    Therefore I would suggest:

- Change the title of the poll in: "Would you personally support the Kodak film division, if it was sold, if yes: how?" (that would be the easiest way)

or:

- Leave the title, summarize the first four options into a single one ("I strongly believe that it would survive and prosper, and I believe in this to such a degree, that I would share the risk or commit to buy a certain quantity of films"), and add several other options,
    e.g.: - Yes, Kodak is a strong brand and Kodak films have an excellent position at the film-market;
    - Yes, although the film market will shrink, Kodak films will make it
    - cannot decide, as I actually do not really understand markets and how the work in general, not to mention the film market in particular (that would be my choice, objectively regarded this would be the choice for the most of us...)
    - No, I do not believe it.

just my 2cts

Bernhard
    Last edited by Namir; 02-09-2010 at 08:45 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anon Ymous View Post
    Given the insight of some knowledgeable members here, they failed to predict the rate of transition to digital. As a result, when they "rationalised" their coating facilities some years ago, they still used large machines. That means they're unable to produce small quantities of slow selling products. At the same time, Ilford had financial troubles and Agfa went the way of the dodo. So, it seems that many companies had trouble predicting the sweeping effect digital photography would have. So, is it really Kodak films demise? I don't think so, it's film's demise in general.
    I agree with you entirely, the same can be said for the camera manufacturers, I worked in photographic stores for more than twenty years, when I go into them now I recognize very little of what they sell.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 02-09-2010 at 09:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The sorts of investors who could even consider something like buying Kodak's film division, like the ones who bought Polaroid, aren't likely to do it for the sake of preserving the Kodak legacy or traditional photography. Selling the film division under those conditions would be a disaster.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin