Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,949   Posts: 1,585,933   Online: 1009

View Poll Results: Regarding Kodak's Film Division if sold. Do you believe it can survive and prosper?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes and I would you put my savings in it.

8 7.41%
  • Yes and I would you work for that new company.

10 9.26%
  • Yes and I would like to be part of the management team.

6 5.56%
  • Yes and I will commit to buying 160 square inches (2-rolls), of new stock, every week.

42 38.89%
  • No

42 38.89%
Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Would Kodak Sell Film Division?

Okay, first off, no I haven't got any real info here, but the following post from a different thread (along with all the other moaning about the loss of Kodak films here on APUG) got me thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    ...When the highest levels of management at Kodak stated that the film side of their business could disappear tomorrow and they wouldn't care...
    If Ken is right and this is true (and I don't really doubt it), Kodak would probably be happier than heck to sell the film division at a fair price.

All it would take to prove Kodak's Film Division can be better run and profitable (or not) is some (well, probably a lot of) cash and the willingness of a fair number of us "believers" to make a career change (switch from fairly dependable 9-5 work to high-risk 24/7 work).

So, any takers?
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the title of this thread needs to be changed—it implies that the film division actually is for sale.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I changed the title so it doesn't set off panic stations..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, because it keeps the rest of Kodak afloat.

Would we all be better off if it was separate ? Without a doubt because the management would be more rational and committed to our needs.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I try not to worry about things that are beyond my control, whatever I feel about it, if it's going to happen I can't stop them.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Fair change on the title.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    No, because it keeps the rest of Kodak afloat...
    Motion picture films obviously help a lot and I'd like to know what part of the film division's profit comes from films used in photography. Probably not much... So, let's assume that it's the too large coating facilities that make things hard and Kodak is willing to sell the film division. If so, the buyer would have to invest money in new coating machines, right? Additionally, there would be costs involving transfering production of existing products in these new machines. Do you really think there's anybody out there willing to make that investment?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It strikes me that if Kodak's management become aware of this poll on a forum with nearly 39,000 film enthusiasts, and the inevitable outcome considering the questions asked, it will only add to the speed of film's demise.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    It strikes me that if Kodak's management become aware of this poll on a forum with nearly 39,000 film enthusiasts, and the inevitable outcome considering the questions asked, it will only add to the speed of film's demise.
    It may add to the speed of the demise of Kodak's film production. This would put Ilford and Fujifilm in a stronger position though.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If they decided to keep the current films exactly how they are and if anything brought old ones back I may use them.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin