Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,577   Posts: 1,545,713   Online: 788

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Aerochrome is now discontinued

I received this in my inbox, figured you all should see. I wish we could pressure Fuji to make some color infrared film.

Hello,

You are receiving this mail, because you have at some point written and showed interest in the film that I supply.

Kodak has just discontinued the 1443 Aerochrome Color Infrared Film!!
    What does that mean?
    It means there will be no more fresh color infrared film manufactured anywhere in the world. The Color Infrared Film story is at its end!

If you are still interested in buying some, I only have 120 medium format or sheet film in 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10.

I have purchased some of the last bulk. I now have about 700 rolls of 2009 and 2010 stock in 120 format and some sheet film. After that, it is pretty much over. I may acquire a few more rolls of expired film in the future, but we can say that by this time next year, the supply of fresh film will be gone.

To everyone who supported this project and bought film, I thank you sincerely and I hope you had as much success and enjoyment with it as I did. Over the course of the last few years, we watched Kodak HIE, Kodak EIR, Aerographic and now Aerochrome disappear. Some of the photos taken with this film, however, will be around for generations and I am happy and proud to have been part of that!

Thanks again and have a photographic day.

Dean Bennici
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    well, this was bound to happen sometime... the digital sensors have taken over surveillance, along with high-flying, low(or never)-maintenance satellites. even aerial mapping for the most part is digital now....

sad day indeed...

-Dan

listen to the 2nd one down on the page, they talk about having to store infrared and high speed films in SALT mines to keep them from fogging!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_Sheppard View Post

Hello Everybody:

I have updated the RSS feed with a fresh program featuring...

Scott DiSabato - Eastman Kodak

Here is the RSS XML feed for the program.

http://www.insidemacmedia.com/rss/iap.xml

** ENJOY **

Thanks

Scott

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's not necessarily dead yet. It just means we'll have to start making the film ourselves. :P

I may buy a roll or two, though if I recall, it's pretty expensive film. I've never even tried B&W infrared.

Shooter
    35mm
    I got the email as well, always sad to see a product go. I bought 35mm Aerochrome off Dean but he had very limited supplies of that and now only sells 120 and sheet film. An exotic film.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah, I got that email too, and here is what I am wondering.

The National Forestry Service (or whatever US government agency over that department) signed a 10 year contract in 2008 with Kodak. In the contract, is said that Kodak Aerochrome III 1443 had to be produced for the US government until AT LEAST 2018. I saw the document.

It is 2010. 2010 minus 2008 equals 2. 2 is a smaller number than 10. What the heck is going on? What kind of financial penalties does Kodak have to pay to the US government for not honoring their contract? Hell, I get raped by the government as an honest worker. Can you imagine how the government treats entities that break contracts with it???

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The weak position of type 1443 had been clear before.

And that it had been discontinued was already announced by Kodak in october last year and an order deadline given as december 31st.

(It is is still listed on their website though. A matter of negligience, or they still have some on stock...)

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    ...even aerial mapping for the most part is digital now....

This comes true for the larger surveying companies. But there are still one-plane, one-camera companies.

Shooter
    35mm
    I best hurry up and order some, as I've just brought a MF camera so I can use some!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Advances of digital IR probably pushed the US Forestry Service to close the contract earlier than 2018.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    For some reason he can't get the full-range color neg film which is what I want. I don't shoot IR or chromes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin