Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,372   Online: 881

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I got to try five rolls of it. I'm yet to process them... But the Foma 100 and 400 stuff is so beautiful, and we should be grateful to at least have those.

I use the 100 in medium format, mostly for pinhole, and the 400 for 35mm work. All processed in Xtol. The 400 is really sharp and works very very well with portraiture. Prints very nicely to 11x14 from 35mm, or larger if you can. The grain is very beautiful.

- Thomas
    Last edited by Thomas Bertilsson; 02-15-2010 at 08:57 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hate to see film being drop, but I geuss it is way it is.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thomas

Have you seen any of the marks issue discussed on other threads concerning the Foma films?

Thanks

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Mike. No marks. Yet. But I haven't processed the 200 film yet. I'm doing that this week some time. I will subscribe to this thread and post back here.

- Thomas

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    What I read from the adox site is that they are going to start up making the old apx 100 again in this year for all formats until 8x10.
    No old stock, but new ones.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I was just shooting the last of mine a couple of days ago. Still have half a roll loaded. It was interesting stuff--supposedly a T-grain film, but it didn't look like one. It was really grainy, so I'm not sure what the advantage of being a T-grain film would have been, but it looked like something from the Pictorialist era or maybe a film by Fritz Lang. Maybe we'll see it again.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I used it extensively (and still do) in large format. It was awesome in Pyrocat HD, rated at 100, processed 1:1:100. I don't know where they came up with the T-grain bit, it never looked like a T-grain film to me, and didn't perform like one, but that was to me irrelevant- it produced exactly the results I wanted. I do hope they come up with a replacement for it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Scott, I think Foma called it T200 at some point, which may have caused a few people to speculate about the t-grain technology.

I found this link that refers to it as a t-kristall film (in German).

http://www.fotoimpex.de/Technik/FomaT200/fomat200.html

I think Foma has undergone an update since that web site was written, but I seem to remember reading about the Foma 200 film as t-grain in many places, but am yet to read anything from Foma stating so, so I have taken it with a grain of salt.
    It doesn't really matter in the long run anyway, does it? If you like how something looks, perhaps the technology of how it's manufactured is less important.

For those that lost a 'good friend' in Foma 200 - I hope you find a good alternative.

- Thomas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fotoimpex also states in their 2010 catalog: "Der Fomapan 200 basiert auf Flachkristall Technologie" (page 11).

http://www.fotoimpex.de/catalogus_no...i_germanus.pdf

- Thomas

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I agree, it's a beautiful film developed in Pyrocat HD--not grainy at all. David, maybe your developer/time wasn't optimal for it? I had two big issues--quality control and reciprocity. It has the worst reciprocity characteristics of any film ever made, and I used to regularly find emulsion defects. Other than that, the tonality was beautiful and the price was extremely reasonable--especially under the Freestyle Arista EDU Ultra name. It's a big loss for large format shooters if they don't find a way to resume production. It's not a conventional grain film, but maybe not exactly a T-grain either, although the only photomicrograph I've ever seen makes the grains look fairly tabular. See http://www.flickr.com/groups/foma/di...7600068522209/

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin