Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,905   Online: 839

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What fast colour films are still available?

Hi,

I hope to take some pics at a rock concert in a few months time.

I haven't done this for a looooooonng time.

I'll be using a 35mm camera with a short telephoto - we're talking rock band on low stage with full lighting rig in dark club. Black and white shouldn't be too much trouble. In the past I have used Kodak Recording film (my favourite) and T-Max 3200. The choice now will be Delta 3200 or Tmax 3200. I can live with that.

The problem is... colour. Excuse my ignorance, but I haven't shot colour film for a while and I'm a somewhat out of touch.
    Years ago I would have reached for Ektar 1000 or even better a fast tungten balanced film. After a quick look at a couple of mail-order suppliers I could find no tungsten films and nothing faster than 800. Trouble is, if it is daylight film then by the time you've bunged a filter or two on the front you've lost even more...

Has all the fast stuff gone, now?

Will it have to be a case of film for black and white and take the **** digital for colour?
    Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    Superia 1600 or maybe Provia 400X pushed two stops.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Portra 800 is a great film. Instead of filtering when shooting, it is not the best idea but you could always try to correct when printing. It has worked for me.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I exposed Sensia at 400, but my lab said it was too problematic to push. So I kind of lost faith in pushing E6. But you propose that Provia 400X can be pushed to 1600, so now I am a little confused. But I am sure that the truth is out there.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've pushed Provia 400X to 1600 and the results were not bad at all.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Did you lab change the development for this? My lab technichian said it was too problematic to calculate.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Petersson View Post
    Did you lab change the development for this? My lab technichian said it was too problematic to calculate.
    Find a good lab technician, or inform them that the push process time is +2 minutes for a one stop push and +5 minutes for a two stop push. This can be found on kodak tech pub J-83 page 13.
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'd go Portra 800 or Fuji 800z. I hear the Portra is a bit faster, and the Fuji handles mixed lighting better - both of these are anecdotal though (coming from me). But stage lighting is usually wild anyway, so I wouldn't worry about that part of it. I say Portra 800. They upgraded it a couple years ago and it's a really nice film. You can even push it. Someone on this forum said rate it at 2000 and give it a +2 push is a decent way to shoot it. (And I'd just scan the images).

I've had no real problems balancing colors with Portra 400 and 800 shot indoors if you are using photoshop.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is also E200 which can be pushed to 1600.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_e007 View Post
    Years ago I would have reached for Ektar 1000 or even better a fast tungten balanced film. After a quick look at a couple of mail-order suppliers I could find no tungsten films and nothing faster than 800. Trouble is, if it is daylight film then by the time you've bunged a filter or two on the front you've lost even more...

Has all the fast stuff gone, now?
    No, thank God all the fast color film has not gone away. Granted the ISO 3200 film is no longer around, but there are plenty of current ISO 800 and ISO 1600 options in color neg. Also, there are color slide films at ISO 200 and 400. Both the slide films and the neg films can be push processed to increase the speed if you can find a lab who will do it for you. The negative films should be overexposed in low light by a stop (or more when pushed). Even the slide films do well with slight overexposure (+1/3 to 2/3 stop only when pushed).

As for Kodak Portra 800: It's the current "version" of Ektar 1000. In fact, both have/had about the same ISO. Ektar wasn't really a 1000 speed film, and/or Portra is faster than a real ISO 800 film.

There is also Fuji 1600...a great film for rock concerts if I may say so myself. I consider it the color version of the Kodak P3200. If you like P3200, and liked Ektar 1000, you will probably like the Fuji 1600. Ditto for the Kodak Portra 800.

For rock concerts, I recommend the following:

-Portra 800 @ EI 640 (but you need a very wide aperture)
    -Portra 800 rated at EI 1600 and push-processed 1.5 stops
    -Portra 800 rated at EI 3200 and push-processed 3.5 stops

-Fuji 1600 rated at EI 1000 and processed normally
    -Fuji 1600 rated at EI 2000 and push-processed 1 stop
    -Fuji 1600 rated at EI 3200 and push-processed 2 stops

-Kodak E200 or Elite Chrome 200 rated at EI 1000 and push-processed 3 stops
    -Fuji Provia 400X rated at EI 800 and push-processed 1.3 stops
    -Fuji Provia 400X rated at EI 1600 and push-processed 2.75 stops

For mixed lighting, Fuji 800Z may do better, but I have not tried pushing it yet. It will probably behave similarly to the Kodak Portra 800 when pushed.
    Last edited by B&Wpositive; 02-23-2010 at 12:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin