Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,089   Posts: 1,635,926   Online: 955

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    People who want to buy paper already know they want to buy paper. They don't really need to see it first and they can find out what's available by looking at the B&H website. So probably it will result in a sales reduction, but maybe not much of a reduction.

But then, B&H probably doesn't care. They're not there for you, they're there to make money and they most certainly know what they're doing in that department - by turfing the darkroom section, they can make commercial photographers (you know, the ones with the money to spend!) lust over new toys that are now on display. Doesn't matter that those particular toys don't appeal to you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    It's too bad Freestyle doesn't have an east coast warehouse though.
    there is a lot of open space in prov and worcestor,
    maybe we can get them to rent some of it!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well, it is sad in a way, but it's the way of business, I suppose. The part that I always wonder, though, is how many young people might have "stumbled upon" that darkroom section and wondered..."what's this analog photography really about?" And then proceed to purchase some goodies and get hooked!

That's a dream, I know, but I think it must happen from time to time, especially at a place like Freestyle, where if they come in for some nice Inkjet paper, they surely can't help but browse the analog stuff too!
    Well, Freestyle gets all my film business these days since I moved to SoCal anyway. But when I was in Alaska, B&H was the best - fastest and most reasonable on shipping.

Jed

Quote Originally Posted by Rolleiflexible View Post
    My understanding is that you will make
    darkroom purchases at what's left of the
    film counter, and if it's in the warehouse,
    they will bring it into the store for you.
    But there will be no display space devoted
    to darkroom equipment or supplies, including
    papers and chemistry.
    Well, for most of us purchasing in the store is not the most important matter. I assume that they will continue to sell LF film items and chemistry via the internet-or am I wrong?

One might begin to think more seriously about mixing one's own chemicals. In most instances, the process is amazingly simple AND very safe. The new digital balances are quite inexpensive, and chemicals are readily available from Art Craft, PF, and some other sources. Measuring spoons can be purchased from any super-market. A thermometer is cheap...a few brown bottles or Jobo bottles for storage...some distilled water from the same market.....and you will be in business.
    Last edited by Mahler_one; 03-01-2010 at 08:56 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So-o-o glad I live in Los Angeles...!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's too bad Freestyle doesn't have an east coast warehouse though.
    We are OK where it is located.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PVia View Post
    So-o-o glad I live in Los Angeles...!!!
    I would be much less inclined to give shooting film a serious go again if Freestyle weren't on my way home from work.

OTOH, maybe I don't need to work B&H into my next trip to NYC.

Shooter
    35mm
    Looks like they also just increased film prices a bit. Portra 800 is now $9.50 per roll of 36.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleath View Post
    Wasn't there a post recently about how B+H had increased the size of their film counter and it was selling like hotcakes or something? I don't know, it might have been some other store.
    But it doesn't effect me at all, as I'm on the other side of the world. So, I'll be on my way - gonna go take some photos.
    Yes, it was about B&H, three months ago.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    People who want to buy paper already know they want to buy paper. They don't really need to see it first and they can find out what's available by looking at the B&H website. So probably it will result in a sales reduction, but maybe not much of a reduction.
    Quite true, but I was there today just to pick up some paper and anticipated doing what I alway did - grabbing a bunch of impulse purchase items. They used to have a shelf of Photographers Formulary items, for instance, and I'd usually find a chemical or two I could use. Not today. I left with just the items on my shopping list.

Charley

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin