Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,968   Online: 800

Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151620 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Joachim_I View Post
    You guys are scaring me. My cameras live on E6 films.
    Well the article in question had some differing view points but that all surrounded the fact that E6 processing fell off a cliff last year; but then I've never used any of the labs they queried. I use The Darkroom in Cheltenham or Genie in Wandsworth, London.

E6 still has its uses, I like slides for one and the only way we'll keep the stuff is keep using it and keep supporting the labs.

Still no word from Fuji, I'll chase them today.

Vicky

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leighgion View Post
    I'm confused as to why anybody believes what local photo shops tell them about film discontinuation anymore.

In the past few years, the staff of photographic shops seem to take joy in deciding to say any film is going to discontinued.
    If you want to check what's really happening just try going to the Kodak & Fuji websites, look up the Pro labs both list, then visit their websites, many still listed have stopped E6 processing, some have stopped all film processing.

Back in the UK I have some copies of the BJP "Big Book" from about 2000 which list all the Pro labs in the UK at that time, probably fewer than 10% of those labs still process E6, and a huge number of them have closed completely or become digital bureau.

This decline in the number of labs mirrors the plummeting sales of professional colour films, so we must expect a greatly reduced choice/availability.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nielsen View Post
    On the subject of duma$$ camera store people, the least dumba$$ person at my local pharmacy where I get my C41 developed told me this time last year that 'they' are going to 'stop making film next year'

Yeah right... Who is 'they' I asked. Blank stare from her... I then gave up and went home...
    I hope they're a bit more "with it" when it comes to dispensing medicines!

Shooter
    35mm
    I just wonder whether the local country distributors' websites are always reliable and up-to-date?

Kodak's websites are clearly all under the US head office, but are other local companies, e.g Fuji UK, owned and controlled by Fuji Japan, or are they just distributors.

I'm thinking of a UK engineering company (not photographic) which I deal with. The main company is in the US, licences its products and name to the UK company and obviously insists that the latter operates within its standards. But its has no financial interest in the UK company, which is entirely locally owned and is allowed to operate the UK side of the business independently, and as the local managers decide.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think the question asked by railwayman3 is key. For instance I contacted the UK Fuji distributor whom I thought spoke for Fuji about Neopan 400 in 120 being discontinued. It was categoric in saying it had received no such message and yet as has become clear( or has it?) Fuji do appear to have made an official announcment and yet gave no prior warning to its UK distributor.

As Ian Grant says it pays to consult the m homebase website.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    railwayman, the problem is that while Fuji and Kodak for that matter may have stopped manufacturing certain films they will have stocks in their warehouses, both in Japan/USA and other countries.

We've seen this with Kodachrome where the last coating was quite sometime ago yet the film was still available for 3 or more years, and Fuji announced T64 was discontinued last March, expecting stock to run out in June last year but there's still film available.

So we can't expect local Fuji distribution to say a product is discontinued if they have stocks to last a a few weeks/months.

What's being missed in this is just how large a range of colour films Kodak & Fuji still make compared to when I began colour processing in the late 1960's.

Ian

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Re: Interesting news about Fujicolor Pro

Yes but tar was also a much different time in color technology. We won't "have it better" if we have nothing left, Ian.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I started, we had these films and papers:

Ektachrome E1, ISO 25
    Kodacolor, C-22, ISO 25
    Ektacolor S and L, C-22, ISO 25

Kodachrome, ISO 10

Anscochrome, Anscochrome process, ISO 25

Printon, Printon process

No color negative paper. Two came out when I was in college after the consent decree. These were Kodak color print papers, Type R and Type C respectively and even though the names have vanished from products, people still use them.

This was constructed from very old memory so forgive the errors. If I feel up to it, I will search some old data sheets to get more exact information. Usually, they are not in my current memory nor in my current pile of reading material having been retired long before I was. (about 1960)

Agfa, Fuji and Konica products were NOT available to us at this time.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We had it better in the UK, I used Kodak, Fuji, Agfa, Ferrania & Orwo colour films and Pavelle paper, and Ansco was available but I never tried it, Konica/Sakura once tried never again. Of all the Fuji E4 film was the best IMHO, although KII was good when the weather was good.

But the reality was that K25 and also C41 and E6 was such a huge sea-change in terms of quality, we have to hope that the market stabilises and we get left with a range of films that caters for our core colour film needs.

Ian

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by lilserenity View Post
    Well the article in question had some differing view points but that all surrounded the fact that E6 processing fell off a cliff last year; but then I've never used any of the labs they queried. I use The Darkroom in Cheltenham or Genie in Wandsworth, London.
    I always used the Soho branch of Metro Imaging when I lived in London for a couple of years until 2005. I heard they are closed meanwhile because of shrinking demand for film processing.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin