Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,056   Online: 796

Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2678910111213141516171822 ... LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_Sheppard View Post
    Everybody:

I have had face to face meeting with Fujifilm this week and this is the deal.

160s, 160c, 800z and T64 in "ALL SIZES" also Neopan 400 in 120 - GONE...
    Scott,

I am part of "everybody", but I am not situated in the USA; so, which market are you talking about?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Good question. Is this discussion about end of production or end of marketing these films in certain geographical areas?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lilserenity View Post
    I was expecting E6 to dwindle pretty sharply at some point but Fuji discontinuing 160S/C is a bit of a shock to say the least. I had assumed C41 volume was enough to pick up where E6 would leave off.

As for the BJP article, it doesn't predict the end of E6 in a year, it's what one lab said to them, but they have other labs saying that volume has dropped off but it's still profitable, just, and not an essential part of their business so whilst it's not loosing gobs of money they'll keep on doing it.

Vicky
    My own experience in Birmingham was that E6 had begun to dwindled to a trickle 5 years ago, so much so that the lab I used were just doing 3 runs a week instead of continuous processing.

Staff in the lab knew turnover was barely enough to keep the business profitable so I wasn't surprised to find it closed when I returned a year ago.

Thanks for your comments about the article, I'm sure that a few labs will remain but it'll be a handful. I checked both Kodak & Fuji's list of Pro labs (in the UK) on Sunday and many no longer process E6 some don't offer a processing service at all for any films.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Petersson View Post
    Good question. Is this discussion about end of production or end of marketing these films in certain geographical areas?
    It will be global and based on production, but stock levels will be higher in some markets than others,

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    My own experience in Birmingham was that E6 had begun to dwindled to a trickle 5 years ago, so much so that the lab I used were just doing 3 runs a week instead of continuous processing.

Staff in the lab knew turnover was barely enough to keep the business profitable so I wasn't surprised to find it closed when I returned a year ago.

Thanks for your comments about the article, I'm sure that a few labs will remain but it'll be a handful. I checked both Kodak & Fuji's list of Pro labs (in the UK) on Sunday and many no longer process E6 some don't offer a processing service at all for any films.

Ian
    Hi Ian,
    It's a good article which went to the effort of asking big labs rather than doing a Google search, the new BJP is just a wonderful read. You'll enjoy it I am sure.

I haven't taken E6 into somewhere for processing over the counter for years. Probably the last over the counter E6 I did was in 2004, since then everything is mailed out either to The Darkroom in Cheltenham if I wanted the mounted (which is most of the time) or Genie in Wandsworth if just the strips are fine.

I expect in terms of E6 what we'll be left with is something like Velvia 50 and a more standard colour balance film such as Ektachrome 100G / Provia 100F (not that Provia is in any way a delicate film in colour palette to my eyes!)

Vicky

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Everybody:

I have had face to face meeting with Fujifilm this week and this is the deal.

160s, 160c, 800z and T64 in "ALL SIZES" also Neopan 400 in 120 - GONE...

I love and use nearly all of these films. They are excellent products, the best. Still, I am not surprised, because I am pessimistic and sad about the future of color film in general.

Neopan 400 in 120 is a heck of a film, and I cannot understand that being discontinued. That to me is the most ominous news. It indicates a weakness in what I would have assumed is the stronger, steadier part of the business.

-Laura

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    I am part of "everybody", but I am not situated in the USA; so, which market are you talking about?
    What has been discussed is here is USA, I do not believe that all of these emulsions have been cut from the Japanese market.

I will go over this in detail at a later time.

Remember we are talking "PRO" emulsions here, NOT their consumer brothers where there mite be a overlap of product.

Fujifilm DOES have a commitment analog photography and we should be very happy that ANYBODY makes such a fine quality product in this day and age.

These consolidations are brought on by NOT BUYING FILM...

I will keep you updated on what's up and there is no reason to FREAK out and do a Chicken Little dance and scream the SKY IS FALLING !!

At this point we are very lucky that Fujifilm and the rest of the manufactures make film at all anymore !!

Have a GREAT day and go buy some FILM... TODAY !!
    Last edited by Scott_Sheppard; 03-10-2010 at 10:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Scott Sheppard
    Inside Analog Photo
    http://www.insideanalogphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If Kodak follows suit by canceling Portra, we won't have much left in the way of Pro color negative film. I, for one, shoot mostly E6 (K14 until recently), and thought that I'd be switching to C41 at some point due to its demise. Now, I'm wondering how much C41 will be left when I finally get there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not a good deal for color, I only use a few rolls of 120 and 220 C41 a year (have lifetime supply in freezer). But if color and C41 processing goes away I'll move to another form of capture for color prints.

I hope I'm in as safe of a camp as there is in B&W Tri-X in 120 and HP5+ in 4x5. Sure hoping those are the last one's standing.

Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    Neopan 400 in 120 is a heck of a film, and I cannot understand that being discontinued. That to me is the most ominous news.
    What I don't understand, is why it was cheap, and then discontinued. Wouldn't you think that the price would have gone up steadily and THEN it be discontinued? It was just about the cheapest high-quality 120 film available in the states, and apparently wildly popular, and then discontinued? Why were they not making money off of it, and if not, why didn't they raise their prices into Ilfodak levels?
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm
    This is what happens when people don't BUY film !!
    So we are being punished for not buying a roll a day instead of Fuji trying to modify his "stock techniques".

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin