Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,045   Online: 1060

Page 15 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5910111213141516171819202125 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Not deeply surprised at Fuji's move. Kodak has spun one or two new generations of each of the Portra films in the last few years. All Fuji did in the same period was rename and repackage them. Not enough sales to sustain capital investments. So with all the improvements, Kodak must have gained market share.

I'll miss 800Z, it had a pleasant bit of punch for a fast film.

One surprise is that there isn't more carnage on the E-6 side. Maybe Fuji's market share is stronger there? There's nothing like Velvia 50 in Kodak's E-6 portfolio.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just by reading around here I think Fuji has the largest E-6 market share. It seems like almost all the E-6 most people shoot is Fuji not Kodak.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    Just by reading around here I think Fuji has the largest E-6 market share. It seems like almost all the E-6 most people shoot is Fuji not Kodak.
    Kodak's E6 lineup just doesn't do it for me anymore. I was a big user of the "original" E6 films---EPN, EPR, EPP, EPY, etc., along with Velvia (I never was a fan of E100VS).

With those gone, I have the choice of E100G vs. Provia/Astia, E100VS vs. Velvia, and (roughly speaking) E200 vs. Provia 400x. In each case, the Fuji films are a bit cheaper, and I tend to get more consistent results with them. With the risk of being speculative, E200 seems to be hanging by a thread; I can barely find it anywhere, and it's only available in 35mm. This is not to trash the Kodak films at all, merely stating that I've moved from shooting mostly Kodak, to shooting mostly Fuji.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I needed some color film in 120 for a shoot on short notice and I had to pay out the nose for it. I paid 18 dollars for 1 roll of Kodak Ektacolor 100g and 1 roll of Porta 160nc. I almost cried. I bought it locally and supported one of the last chain stores (a small local one) in my area that still carries pro film, so I didn't mind as much as if I had to spend that kind of money at say Walmart, but it was still painful and I don't think I can afford to buy anymore film from them. I actually went in to get Velvia 50 and Reala, but they didn't have any of either, so Kodak got my business.

I'm a huge fan of Neopan 400 and will be sad when I can no longer find it. I also really like Acros 100, so hopefully that will be around for a while.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Voneville View Post
    I bought it locally and supported one of the last chain stores (a small local one) in my area that still carries pro film, so I didn't mind as much as if I had to spend that kind of money at say Walmart, but it was still painful and I don't think I can afford to buy anymore film from them.
    I gave up trying to buy locally. Unless they actually have good prices. I bought some Portra one time at like $10/roll, and I noticed after the fact that it was the old version. I just order online. I'd rather buy two rolls for the price of one - more film being used anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Local is convenient but never the best film price.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It's not even particularly convenient. I have to drive about 25 mins to get to a store that has a decent selection of film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    More news: link.

Sounds like Neopan 120 was cut because of environmental concerns. 160S is getting rebranded as 160NS with no emulsion changes. No mention of 800Z or some of the other products Scott mentioned. Reala in 35mm was mentioned though. Looks like a legitimate story, but who knows.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

has fuji discontinued C-41 (in 4x5 or other sizes)?

Hi

on another forum (hybrid photo) there is a thread suggesting that Fuji has dropped essentially their C-41 films (in particular 4x5)

I can't see anything on their web site, anyone the wiser?
    Theory: you understand why it should work but it doesn't
    Practice: it works but you have no idea how
    Here theory and practice meet, things don't work and I don't know why
    Homepages: here Blog: here

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Threads merged.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin