Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,985   Posts: 1,523,949   Online: 893

Page 27 of 40 FirstFirst ... 172122232425262728293031323337 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    My train of thought is similar to yours. I don't think Superia 100 exists anymore, I think it's been replaced with the budget Fujicolor 100. I thought I might try Superia 200 but it'll be grainier. Maybe 160VC and play with the rating?
    Yes, Fujicolor 100 is what it's called now, it's the same stuff, it could be worth a go, it's cheap enough to. Superia 200 is a great film, not that grainy or that much grainier than Reala, if at all in fact, but it is definitely contrastier in my experience. No bad thing, maybe a little overexposure may control that. Worth trying but I have a hunch you'll get on better with 160VC, may also be worth trying Gold 200 which I quite like.

I've been doing a lot of RA4 printing of Reala and it's wonderful stuff, punchy in the sun but still quite 'natural' to my eye. There's no grain at all on my 8x10 prints. I've ordered 20 rolls. I thought about ordering more but this stockpiling is killing my budget - Endura paper and 800Z are also on their way out. I think Ektar must have killed Reala sales as I always thought this was a big seller for Fuji. It's the most popular film at the Fuji pro shop.

My entire colour film / paper choice has been discontinued in a matter of months...
    It does strike me odd that Ektar canibalised Reala sales as to me they are very different films. But it seems that may be the cause. I have a good stock here and will continue to shoot 120 Reala but I know what you mean about the stockpiling, it's killing my bank balance too. I am trying to buy as much Supra Endura as I can afford, not nearly as much as I'd like to but bills have to be paid I guess!

Like you, 800Z and Reala were staples for me, as was 160S...

If we don't see 160NS or whatever they're gonna call it on these shores, it's pretty much just Reala and 400H for my colour negative needs from Fuji. I'll still use their E6 material mind.

I just hope Supra Endura doesn't kick the bucket in sheet form too soon, optical RA4 prints are just gorgeous and so cost effective compared to digital + printers + inks....

Vicky

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Supra Endura has kicked the bucket...There was a petition done to save it but there was no result. There is now not company as far as I have been told that cuts color paper into sheets. The only way to do it would be to get an 84 foot roll of 10 inch paper from kodak and cut 84 sheets yourself.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    Supra Endura has kicked the bucket...There was a petition done to save it but there was no result. There is now not company as far as I have been told that cuts color paper into sheets. The only way to do it would be to get an 84 foot roll of 10 inch paper from kodak and cut 84 sheets yourself.
    Rotatrim is a good option here.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ultra Endura is still there in sheets. I posted a reference earlier.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by lilserenity View Post
    I am trying to buy as much Supra Endura as I can afford, not nearly as much as I'd like to but bills have to be paid I guess!
    I've got seven boxes of 10x8, the newer ones have an expiry date of 01/2011. I wondered about freezing the stuff but the boxes are big and I'd need to buy a larger freezer - then I'd have less money for the paper!

Paper options are like this I think:

Ektacolor Edge (rolls only)
    Ultra Endura (too contrasty?)
    Fuji Crystal Archive (rolls only)

I've got some rolls of Edge and it's a hassle to cut them down, but better than nothing. I've heard the Fuji CA will be back in sheets very soon now (I was told 4 weeks), cut by a 3rd party.

Certainly frustrating: the key to colour printing is consistency, I've standardised film and paper only for both to be killed off. Now I'll have to learn new films and papers. I've gone from shooting Fuji and printing onto Kodak to probably shooting Kodak and printing onto Fuji.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Certainly frustrating: the key to colour printing is consistency, I've standardised film and paper only for both to be killed off. Now I'll have to learn new films and papers. I've gone from shooting Fuji and printing onto Kodak to probably shooting Kodak and printing onto Fuji.

Well I really hope we see Fuji CA in sheet form again, I think it might be Ilford that has agreed to cut it, but the chances of anybody heading this up of confirming it here must be zero.

I have 1 box of 10x8100 sheets with about 40 sheets left, 2 fresh boxes of 8x10" 50 pack and 2 x 9x12" -- all have dates for 2010. Pay day was only yesterday so maybe I'll have to look at the finances and see if I can get a couple more boxes.

I admit I have tended to be more of a Kodak person for 35mm film but I'm in a very similar predicament.

The next step might have to be a scanner and a decent inkjet for colour and just do black and white in the darkroom; I really don't want to but we're just being squeezed and squeezed and whilst I am doing what I can, at the end of the day, the electric bill and the water bill all have to be paid before film and paper.

What a sad day

Vicky

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by lilserenity View Post
    The next step might have to be a scanner and a decent inkjet for colour and just do black and white in the darkroom; I really don't want to but we're just being squeezed and squeezed and whilst I am doing what I can, at the end of the day, the electric bill and the water bill all have to be paid before film and paper.

What a sad day
    Chin up! I could be much worse. I'll keep on going as long as I can. I started this out of curiosity and a desire to say that at least I'd tried it. But I've caught the bug - RA4 prints are magical and making them is immensely satisfying. I can't go back to scanning - just like I couldn't eat Hershey's 'chocolate' after trying Cadbury's!

Maybe 2010 is the final year for home RA4, maybe it's 2011 or beyond. Either way I'm going to make sure I've got a great collection of real colour prints to look at in the future.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Silver print do fujicolour CA in cut sheets, I got my 9.5 x12 a few weeks ago.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When it comes to cutting down paper (I usually cut 8x10 or 11x14 own to 5x7s), I usually just dedicate an hour or so of time to "paper cutting" and focus on doing just that. After everything is sorted I put everything in safes or boxes and go on to the next task (which might just be leaving the darkroom for the night).
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    I've been thinking of going to the communal darkroom where I work (actually, I work for two institutions, both with darkrooms) and getting all this Edge cut down in one go. I need more space than in my tiny home darkroom. I figured I could mount the roll on a broomstick between two chairs and just feed it into a guillotine. Being colour paper makes it harder as you can't see if everything is in line and square.
    Steve.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin