Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,909   Posts: 1,521,568   Online: 791

Page 33 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2327282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Then perhaps you should by some film mate? :-)
    I have 30 rolls in my freezer.
    I can only import film with a total price of under $200US before it attracts import tax. I pay $60US for freight.

Film is just too expensive, where I live. Velvia 50 cost us $20US a roll for 35mm. A roll of 160S cost us $14US. Provia 400 might be up to $25US a roll.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rayonline_nz View Post
    I have 30 rolls in my freezer.
    I can only import film with a total price of under $200US before it attracts import tax. I pay $60US for freight.

Film is just too expensive, where I live. Velvia 50 cost us $20US a roll for 35mm. A roll of 160S cost us $14US. Provia 400 might be up to $25US a roll.
    That's completely ridiculous. I used to live in Wellington and remember regularly feeling annoyed at GST and the like. They're not stupid about it either, so it's a bit hard to get around.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    I guess I'm just surprised the BW film isn't there since that's the address printed on my box of neopan.

Shooter
    35mm
    Things in NZ has been more competitive with digital products.

Even back in 2006 a Nikon F100 was $2000 new or $1,300 used (USDs). While at B&H they were $1,000 new. Film photog has always been more expensive. I stroll down to Kmart of the supermarket and Superia film are $4US.

One of the pro labs, they have a branch in Christchurch, Wellington and Auckland. They had to clean my negs and gave me a free roll of 160C, the price of that was $19.95NZ (135 format) and the expiry date was within a month :rolleyes:

These days with the used goods and our online auction, film cameras at least has come down in price. Lenses have gone down with digital but still maybe 20% more than the USA.

Processing is not too bad at $4US for dev only for print film or $10US for dev only for slides. Mounting OTOH cost an extra $10US more. If you want some quality prints printed (a set) that's $10US more. In Auckland there are even more pricey labs, ones that get recommended here on this forum, they might be around 20% more.

Shooter
    35mm
    The NZ GST is going to be increased to 15% from 12.5% ...

I was searching the net, Auckland Camera has a roll of Provia 400X for $39.95 a roll.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rayonline_nz View Post
    The NZ GST is going to be increased to 15% from 12.5% ...

I was searching the net, Auckland Camera has a roll of Provia 400X for $39.95 a roll.
    Sigh. Meanwhile my Kiwibank interest rates have dropped to the floor. I remember when I was rolling a nice 8.5% APR in an Online Call. Those were the days. Now it's around 3%. Still much better than the US, but barely meets inflation. Still have the money there though. :-)

If you ask me, I have a feeling there's some gaming going on with those film prices and NZ<->JP's trade deals. It's not in a vendor's best interest to recommend sustainable products. They'd rather sell new toys.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is truly unfortunate that color photography is so completely dependent on corporations run for stockholders. I'll miss all these films, and it isn't likely I'll be switching to another film but rather shooting digital for color. If my B&W films went away I could still handcoat plates and paper (and would).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
    It is truly unfortunate that color photography is so completely dependent on corporations run for stockholders. I'll miss all these films, and it isn't likely I'll be switching to another film but rather shooting digital for color. If my B&W films went away I could still handcoat plates and paper (and would).
    You'd throw in the towel on analog color completely before using a similar Kodak product?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    You'd throw in the towel on analog color completely before using a similar Kodak product?
    It seems the writing may finally be on the wall for color analog. As much as I love shooting & wet printing color film there have just been too many things lost in the last month for me to consider acclimating to a change without the nagging doubt that it will go. I've been tagged as a spoil sport for saying so in another thread, but sorry- I'm done. I've not come to this decision easily- believe me I've been thinking about it a lot over the last few days, and even ordered some other films in anticipation- but the reality for me is (don't worry you need not come along) that it is time to pack it in. Too many doubts to commit resources to any new project when I'm not sure I'll have the materials I want to finish the current one. I really don't believe that Kodak will be making anything analog in five years time.

I've not liked the Kodak offerings in C-41 for a while now. I shot tons of stock images on the E100 films- VS & SW especially. The Ektapress line was OK and I liked some of the films Kodak had ten or fifteen years ago, but the current Portra line doesn't do it for me. I've never gotten along with how the newer Kodak print films render red. I've tried them all (save the current Portra 800). After Agfa Ultra went away I settled in on the Fuji Line, and managed to make that work despite the change in color. I'll shoot the last roll or sheet of B&W if I can, and I know I'll be printing B&W until I can't see to do it, but I think I'm done with analog color sad to say.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, the way I see it, might as well use it while it is here.

MacBeth charts and controlled lighting are out friends. I do not see the vast difference in images between Fuji and Kodak films that others see. Differences, yes. Noticeable, yes. Differences that make it worth going digital instead, when quality color neg materials are still in existence? No way!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin