Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,218   Online: 912

Page 34 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2428293031323334353637383940 LastLast
    San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Re: Interesting news about Fujicolor Pro

Couldn't agree more with 2F. The difference here is mainly one of color rendition. The difference between film and digital, on the other hand, is a whole different world. The materials are here. Use them or you're just enabling the situation to continue.

Portra films are great anyways.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Couldn't agree more with 2F. The difference here is mainly one of color rendition. The difference between film and digital, on the other hand, is a whole different world. The materials are here. Use them or you're just enabling the situation to continue.

Portra films are great anyways.
    Agreed. We cannot afford to loose more analog colour products. USE IT!

K

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Use them or you're just enabling the situation to continue.
    Right. Better to use color materials that don't match my needs just because they're analog until I can't use any of them anymore than to just cash it in and concentrate on using the color materials I'll have to be using soon enough. I'm not telling anyone they have to switch- just saying that I've hit the tipping point with this latest news. And no, I'm not grinning ear to ear about it- I'm pissed. But acknowledging that got the me a finger waving in the other thread.:rolleyes:

The reality is that the individual user has zero impact on any of this- and I really can't believe all of the folks here who wet print color could make a difference in the eyes of Fuji or Kodak. they're corporations, beholden to the stockholder and the almighty $ and Yen. Just like trying to save water by not letting the tap run while you brush your teeth- what you and I "save" in a year is wasted by industry in seconds. We live in a world where the largest users are the ones who dictate what is or isn't available.

If what is left works for you that's great and I really do hope those materials are around for as long as you need them. I wish it were so for me but it just isn't anymore. I'm not intending to force anyone else to make the same decision.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If every individual here as APUG members had bought one box of 8x10, 100 sheet Endura, I would bet it would still be on dealers shelves. If those same had bought the RA kits, they would be there too. Add to that 220 films and B&W paper back a few years ago.

A group of individuals can make a difference. The problem is that the same small few number of members make a huge number of posts. And, they are spending more time here than out there with a camera.

PE

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
    Right. Better to use color materials that don't match my needs just because they're analog until I can't use any of them anymore than to just cash it in and concentrate on using the color materials I'll have to be using soon enough. I'm not telling anyone they have to switch- just saying that I've hit the tipping point with this latest news. And no, I'm not grinning ear to ear about it- I'm pissed. But acknowledging that got the me a finger waving in the other thread.:rolleyes:
    If Kodak discontinued Tri-X and Fujifilm discontinued Neopan, you bet your ass I'd be using Ilford Delta, FP4, and HP5 in a jiffy. Your needs are apparently one of "cold" vs "warm" color casts - as that's pretty much the end of the road differences between Portra and Pro line of films.

The reality is that the individual user has zero impact on any of this- and I really can't believe all of the folks here who wet print color could make a difference in the eyes of Fuji or Kodak. they're corporations, beholden to the stockholder and the almighty $ and Yen. Just like trying to save water by not letting the tap run while you brush your teeth- what you and I "save" in a year is wasted by industry in seconds. We live in a world where the largest users are the ones who dictate what is or isn't available.

If what is left works for you that's great and I really do hope those materials are around for as long as you need them. I wish it were so for me but it just isn't anymore. I'm not intending to force anyone else to make the same decision.
    See, but you're huffing off to digital (don't think you are avoiding the corporates game there by any measure) because of proposed discontinuance notices where adaptation is easily done. I think it's ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    A group of individuals can make a difference. The problem is that the same small few number of members make a huge number of posts. And, they are spending more time here than out there with a camera.

PE
    Well said, PE, and I agree. Personally, I buy and use plenty of materials.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
    I think I'm done with analog color sad to say.
    Yes, I can clearly see it.

Hobbies should be fun, and if you find yourself depressed over your hobbies, then better let them go. And, no one really wants to be a nagger.

Good luck with your irrational but honest decision.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If digital is better for you than analog, go for it.

It is not better than analog for me, unless working in certain situations. I use digital (and film, when digital was not around) for photographing news journalism. I use it for weddings and low-quality product work intended for the Web. I use it for things with which speed and turnaround time are the most important considerations. When these things are not, I use film, because: 1. the pure, raw quality (both objectively and subjectively measured) is better to me in almost every case, 2. the quality to dollar ratio is insanely more favorable to me with analog, 3. the process is insanely more enjoyable, and 4. I already know the processes and have the equipment, and they leave nothing to be desired that digital could satiate.

I do not use film because it is analog. I use it because it is my preferred medium.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 03-21-2010 at 11:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    I do not use film because it is analog. I use it because it is my preferred medium.
    Amen, bro!
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    That sums it up for me too!

If the time comes that I can no longer get film, I shall turn to other hobbies.
    I've tried the digital way, and it's OK for quick snaps and instant prints of the family, but not, for me at least, a serious or rewarding interest.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the time comes that I can no longer get film, I shall turn to other hobbies.
    I've tried the digital way, and it's OK for quick snaps and instant prints of the family, but not, for me at least, a serious or rewarding interest.
    I'm in this boat too.

Mike

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin