Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,915   Posts: 1,521,761   Online: 1059

Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678910111216 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goldie View Post
    If Fuji discontinue a large amount of their unique emulsions it will be a really bad thing for traditional photography. I hope it doesn't happen.
    Well, they are going to do it eventually, and probably fairly soon in the grand scheme of things. It is just a question of when.

All I can say is that I hope their black and white films survive the demise of their color ones, and the same with Kodak.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got just over 700 sheets of HP5+ (4x5) in the freezer, and as I use a box I reorder. Not likely to catch me to off guard.
    120 I don't shoot so much anymore (should sell the Hassys stuff before it goes to zero in value), but still keep the freezer at about 200 - 250 rolls any given time, again rotating as it is used (Kodak Tri-X).

Paper will be the killer as it's keeping properties aren't as good, I think.

Anyway I can't keep them from going out of business, so I'll keep shooting and buying (and protect the stash).

Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Note that though T64 was discontinued some time ago, they just found out about its discontinuance from Fuji.
    Just wondering, where is it you shop? I bought a bunch of T64 in 120 from Freestyle yesterday, and was helped by the same woman who's usually there at the back counter on the weekends. Very helpful. She did, however, say that the T64 was discontinued. I swung past Samy's as well to get a part that Freestyle didn't have, and was told the same thing by their film staff.

In terms of other film being discontinued by Fuji, I would really take it with a grain of salt. Fuji is still producing high-end film cameras, so it wouldn't make much sense to keep developing cameras if you're not going to make the film necessary to use them. For example, they make a point-and-shoot "natura" camera that takes pretty nice color pics at high ISO. Can't imagine they'd drop their 800 or 1600 films if they're still pushing the camera. Well, actually, I can...
    Last edited by imokruok; 03-08-2010 at 01:03 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by goldie View Post
    I can't agree with that statement. As Simon Galley from Ilford has written here several times, a strong industry & competition is good for all the manufacturers. Bear in mind that many of them are sourcing the same raw materials from the same suppliers, so a drop in demand from a major player could affect availability of those materials to the others.

Also, I wouldn't assume that all photographers currently using Fuji materials will move to Kodak if they are discontinued. It might well be the push that sends them to digital, or painting. If Fuji discontinue a large amount of their unique emulsions it will be a really bad thing for traditional photography. I hope it doesn't happen.
    Your first paragraph is very true, and also typical of the open, honest and helpful approach which I have always found from Simon and Harman/Ilford. (Have Fuji or Kodak ever posted anything here?)

I was really felt quite "shocked" to find that Astia is discontinued, and, for the first time, started to have doubts about my ongoing long-term serious interest in photography. Obviously I shall continue with B&W while-ever Ilford
    supply materials, but I have no interest in digital beyond "family snaps". After that, it might, seriously, be time to borrow my wife's watercolor painting gear.....

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The more and more I read this the more I think someone has fed you a line of horseshit, 2F/2F. I can't see why Fujifilm would discontinue all of those specific color-negative films. It's half of their offerings.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    The more and more I read this the more I think someone has fed you a line of horseshit, 2F/2F. I can't see why Fujifilm would discontinue all of those specific color-negative films. It's half of their offerings.
    The only problem is Fuji themselves have announced some of the films are discontinued and not all are on 2F/2F's list, and it's unlikely they'll be the only company to severely cut their range of colour films within the next year.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    The only problem is Fuji themselves have announced some of the films are discontinued and not all are on 2F/2F's list, and it's unlikely they'll be the only company to severely cut their range of colour films within the next year.

Ian
    On the other hand, if Fuji pulls out of a portion of their film range, Kodak may see increased sales of Portra and Ektar (which they seem to indicate is a strong seller).

Tom

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    On the other hand, if Fuji pulls out of a portion of their film range, Kodak may see increased sales of Portra and Ektar (which they seem to indicate is a strong seller).

Tom
    I think that the important word there is "may".

As others have said (including Simon Galley of Ilford, quoted above), anything which reduces choice and competition is not good, and also the loss of a favorite film may be the "last straw" which persuades either a pro or amateur to go digital. And (not knocking them), but with all Kodak's well known problems and film discontinuances in recent years, I'm not sure where their film ranges might be in a few years time.

Yes, Ektar and Portra are fine films, but some prefer the color balances and results from other films. It's a bit like saying to an artist that "all watercolor paints are discontinued, but you're all right, you can still buy oil paints".
    Last edited by railwayman3; 03-08-2010 at 04:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If customers have turned their back on Fuji (decreased sales) you can't expect Fuji to give up it's ROI (Return on Investment) and keep making products not carrying their weight.

It may be bad long term, but the those still in it will get some kind of a bump from those that stay with film.

Mike

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebarger View Post
    If customers have turned their back on Fuji (decreased sales) you can't expect Fuji to give up it's ROI (Return on Investment) and keep making products not carrying their weight.

It may be bad long term, but the those still in it will get some kind of a bump from those that stay with film.

Mike
    However, you need competition. Trust me, you do NOT want reduced offerings and consolidation.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin