Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,808   Posts: 1,581,481   Online: 1098

Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141519 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Guys;

We have all commented on how Fuji has a very large share of the E6 market while Kodak has a large share of the C41 market. This is mainly due to the fact that Kodak has the largest share of the motion picture market. As a result, The Vision films support the C41 films, but with Fuji, all films are more or less stand alone and move directly with their respective markets.

If E6 vanishes, then we are faced with a huge loss to Fuji and a comparatively minor loss to Kodak. That is the way I see it. It remains to be seen whether Fuji can withstand the shock, but it seems as if they and Kodak are preparing for what is to come.

E6 has been hit hardest by the digital revolution. What happens will happen.

PE

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    I'd also think that Astia would be one of their most popular transparency films. It's hacking does not give me much hope for E-6 films even a couple of years down the road.
    Indeed. I also thought It was quite popular. I thought that other films in the range like Velvia 100F would go away first if the time had to come.
    And, is this confirmed? Fuji hasn't said anything, nor any dealer/advertiser at APUG.
    I believe that at the worst E6 will become a small niche market. Provia and Velvia, and not much more.

I'm confused with all of this. Let me summarize what I've caught:
    800Z- will stay in 35mm.
    The 160's aren't confirmed, at the moment, it's just repackaging.
    Astia- ? No idea
    Then there are the Neopans that are just repackagings in 120.

Shooter
    35mm
    Googling Astia brings up a lot of information from various sources as to its discontinuance in the UK last autumn. It is no longer listed, or appears as out-of-stock on the main UK mail order websites, and it is no longer shown in the professional film range on www.fujifilm.co.uk.
    I suppose the only option now might be mail order from abroad.

For the first time, I am starting to feel the pessimism shown by other posters as to the medium term future of E6, rather than just the long-term future, which has been in doubt for some time.

I'm not even sure that E6 will remain as a niche. While B&W materials can be made on a smaller scale by even tiny niche companies, color coating seems to need a whole different and larger scale of equipment, expertise and level of production to be viable.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm confused as to why anybody believes what local photo shops tell them about film discontinuation anymore.

In the past few years, the staff of photographic shops seem to take joy in deciding to say any film is going to discontinued.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    4 SALE - CHEEP

A BUNCH OF COLOR FILM AND PAPER

GOING DIGITAL FOR COLOR CUZ DE FOLKS WITH DE MONEY SEZ I GOTS TO
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    However, you need competition. Trust me, you do NOT want reduced offerings and consolidation.

kinda like this healthcare thing trying to get passed :rolleyes:

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    4 SALE - CHEEP

A BUNCH OF COLOR FILM AND PAPER

GOING DIGITAL FOR COLOR CUZ DE FOLKS WITH DE MONEY SEZ I GOTS TO
    I'll take it!

(now, to tell other people that they have to sell their supplies cheap...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the past few years, the staff of photographic shops seem to take joy in deciding to say any film is going to discontinued.
    As someone who worked in a "big name" camera store back in the day, I can tell you that digital was treated like mana from the heavens in this place. All the sudden, they had an excuse to say, "Have you gone digital??? But...but...you need to go digital!!!" which made people buy cameras and accessories they may not have otherwise bought. I'm not going to say that all places are like that, or that there is a conspiracy on the part of the camera dealers, but I could not help but notice the glee in the salespeoples' eyes when they would say things like, "our film volumes are always dropping" or "film is going to be gone soon" to scare people into buying a digital camera (this was back in 2002-2003). It kind of bit them in the foot a few years later though, when their photo processing revenue was in the toilet...

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    The BJP has predicted that E6 could disappear within a year
    You guys are scaring me. My cameras live on E6 films.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On the subject of duma$$ camera store people, the least dumba$$ person at my local pharmacy where I get my C41 developed told me this time last year that 'they' are going to 'stop making film next year'

Yeah right... Who is 'they' I asked. Blank stare from her... I then gave up and went home...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin