Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,442   Online: 1140

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have always used Ilford and will continue to do so, I support people who support my vision of photography, others don't really matter.

Good luck Ilford, hang on!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm probably way out of the loop on this, but whatever happened to Kentmere Bromide graded paper? Is it still available? Was it discontinued? Was it stillborn during a reformulation?

I don't recall seeing any official announcement anywhere. But nobody seems to be carrying it anymore. At least in anything resembling a full range. I do recall a press release from a year or so ago extolling the virtues of improved avenues of distribution to North America, and Bromide was explicitly mentioned.

Was I asleep at the switch on this one?

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have always used Ilford and will continue to do so, I support people who support my vision of photography (analog), other companies don't really matter that much, after all, I'm a FILM user.

Good luck Ilford, hang on!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Put on your codpieces and grab your bayonets for off to the fray we go!
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by André E.C. View Post
    , I support people who support my vision of photography, others don't really matter.
    That's a fantastic quote

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm just realistic that no one can sustain production without an adequate volume of sales, not even Ilford. Someone talking about their product means more to you than it does to me. Remember last man standing didn't mean much with Fuji.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikebarger
    Still doesn't mean their business won't be in the toilet in 12 months (hope not as I use HP5+ in 4x5). I'm much more interested in how a product performs than listening to ads.

Mike

Pessimistic much?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice post, and good to hear after the last few weeks, and as recent films like TXP and Neopan-400 are discontinued. It should provide upside to the vendors like Ilford that remain in the market.... Theoretically that is. To be honest, how many 400 speed emulsions do we truly need? I know TXP 320 was a different animal being the only remaining 220 B&W film, but there are better films. TMY-II can do all that TXP could... except in 220, and it's better than Neopan-400. That said, the price point of Neopan made it REALLY appealing as it was over a 1/3 less expensive and soon added up. Although I only use limited amounts of Ilford products, they do seem the most customer savvy and accessible vendor out of the big 3. Kodak, and Fuji should take note on that point alone. It could not hurt either K or F to have a presence on APUG like Ilford does instead of remaining distant and detached from their customers. After all, we are part of shaping their future.

my .02 YMMV

A.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Andrew, guess I'm in the minority when it comes to buying film, I buy based on what I like about the product. I don't spend a second of time considering how friendly/unfriendly the PR department is with it's customers.

Even though I'm a transplant, guess I've lived in the Show-Me state long enough to adopt the attitude.

Mike

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Re: Some Reassuring News from Ilford!

Andrew what do you mean "better?" Neopan and TMY2 are two entirely different beasts. If you bring up grain you're missing the point entirely.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To back up my posts and just my .02 cents and what part of YMMV dont people understand?? Also to overt a flame war.... My post was about losing two of many peoples favorite films... which is never a good thing. The reference to PR departments was exactly that... Ilford is proactive, Kodak and Fuji is not. We hear news via rumors, and speculation over the various internet forums. Ilford regularly chimes in on APUG on their direction and regular press announcements like this one and they keep us in the know. Basically they see value in us. Fuji and Kodak do not post on here and appear to not have the same committment that I've seen anyway.

As for comments on TMY-II being better than Neopan-400. In my opinion (for what's that worth) TMY-II is WAY better. Grain is not the issue, not sure where I made reference to that. For me...... ME! I stated that TMY-II is superior. By that I meant that it can be many things just by changing dev dilution, agitation, just like many films can. I've had great results from Neopan, and it was my favorite film for years. Cost wise, and performance wise it was a win win. After using TMY-II in comparable ways, I find it superior in the way it handles highlights and handles shadow detail. Neopan is good, but is not great at either. Again, just my opinion for the way I shoot, and I respect that others might differ on that.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin