Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,952   Posts: 1,522,724   Online: 883

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've always had brokerage fees collected by UPS when I've ordered from Freestyle, sometimes egregious.
    Considerably AWOL at the present time...

Archive/Blog: http://davidwilliamwhite.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No, the 35 mm B&W negative films offered by Kodak do not have a remjet backing. Eastman 5222 makes for a pretty good still camera film, but it's hard to find in short ends, and isn't less expensive than some other purpose made still camera films.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yep, not duty. UPS fees.

UPS Ground is to be avoided cross-border. UPS by air is fine. FedEx is fine. USPS is finest although slowest.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David William White View Post
    Call Eastman Kodak direct at (800) 621-FILM (3456). Here is the link to their motion picture price list:

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/uploa...arch9_2009.pdf

As you can see, they have 400ft. and 1000ft. rolls of Plus-X and Double-X (as well as colour stock, of course) and the price can't be beat. I ordered 400ft. of Plus-X for my P/D project and have gone through about half of it so far. BTW: I had the film on my desk within 3 hours of calling them.

I'm stunned that I'm the only one who keeps mentioning it.
    Arista Premium 400 is $35 per 100-foot roll. The Double X stock ends up being exactly the same price as listed in the PDF to which you linked (though the better economy with ISO 100 film goes to the Arista Premium 100 in 100-foot rolls, because the MP stock is priced identically to Double X, but the Premium 100 is $5 cheaper per 100 feet). So, for 400, I'd get whichever comes in the most convenient quantity for you to handle. For 100, I'd get the Arista Premium in bulk rolls. Doing so, you save $20 per 400 feet, or $50 per 1000 feet over the MP stock.

Kodak's description of Double X makes it sound as if it has a Remjet coating, but not Plus X.

P.S. For anyone who wondered what Arista Premium is, and why it can be priced like it is without Kodak losing money...there is your answer. I would not be at all surprised if their black and white negative MP films were not exactly selling like hotcakes. So, how to move materials along and make some money, as opposed to letting them rot and losing money? Rebadge it as still film and put a Freestyle label on it.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 03-18-2010 at 12:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Good breakdown. Except the suggestion that Double X might have a remjet backing. No special alkali pre-soak is required to process this film -- I've straight-processed tons of 5222 and it's a beautiful film. That B&W MP film isn't a big seller anymore seems reasonable and would explain the scarcity of short ends that everyone wants.

In the end, it looks like the Legacy line has the edge if someone is looking for the best price for fresh film by a major manufacturer. Let's see what BetterSense decides on.
    Last edited by David William White; 03-18-2010 at 01:28 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Considerably AWOL at the present time...

Archive/Blog: http://davidwilliamwhite.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For more information of Kodak Double-X see: http://www.project-double-x.org/

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by debanddg View Post
    Lookout if someone is selling Sterling or Nova films on the net. In India a 36 exposure roll sells for US$ 0.5 -- even if you add the shipping costs it would be hard to beat. Quality is ok for test purposes.

Cheers
    Deb
    Never heard about these brands. What's inside, and where did you see those?
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    Found it: http://www.filmemporium.com/

But prices don't look all the great to me (compared to 100' rolls at freestyle).
    They offer 500T!! I should order some and try it through the C-41 Process!!
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    They offer 500T!! I should order some and try it through the C-41 Process!!
    Regardless of the differences between ECN and C41 films, you will ruin the lab's chemistry. These films have remjet backing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David William White View Post
    That B&W MP film isn't a big seller anymore seems reasonable and would explain the scarcity of short ends that everyone wants.
    I imagine b/w MP film overall is slow in sales...but specifically negative MP stock.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin