Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,687   Posts: 1,482,342   Online: 878

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Tim, I think you are right, except Plus-X really does look discontinued. Hopefully this doesn't impact the still version.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am going to buy a brick of Plus-X in the next few days, and I would urge those of you who shoot Plus-X to do the same. Hopefully we can keep the still version on the shelves for a while longer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The way I see it, once MP film goes down the toilet, that's all folks!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well if they used the exact same master roll of still plus-x for MP I would also agree 2F/2F!
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am not talking about it so literally as that, Patrick!

I mean that most of Kodak's (and, I assume, Fuji's) film volume is motion picture film, not still film. It is the ONLY film that still sees heavy use in a professional photographic industry. It is thus the only film that is bought in huge quantities by the actual users (not resellers), and the only film that people have budgets to justify in large quantities. While separate, the health of the MP side of things has to influence decisions on all film across the board. Many of the same materials are used. Perhaps some of the same facilities, supplies, and equipment, are used, though I am not sure. The more film that is made, the cheaper, and the more profitable, it is to make each unit of film. However, the bottom line is just that: the bottom line. Any decline in any film sales hurts Kodak across the board. Any decline in any part of Kodak's business hurts their film division, for that matter! The worse other divisions are doing, the harder it must be to justify the still film division, which is likely just staying afloat as it is.

So, BUY FILM, from RETAILERS...and shoot it...and buy chemicals...and paper....and, you get the picture. The fundamental problem here is quite simply that demand is low. I cannot see it going anywhere but further down big picture-wise, so it is up to we little guys to buy buy buy to fill the gap left by professionals who have abandoned film.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 04-07-2010 at 09:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So, BUY FILM, from RETAILERS...and shoot it...and buy chemicals...and paper....and, you get the picture. The fundamental problem here is quite simply that demand is low. I cannot see it going anywhere but further down big picture-wise, so it is up to we little guys to buy buy buy to fill the gap left by professionals who have abandoned film.
    Hell of a time to have a recession, eh?

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I will buy a couple of 5-packs Plus-X in 120 later this month. I still have Agfa APX 100, but those rolls can stay in the freezer this year.
    J. Patric Dahlén

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Before we freak out, I'd throw out there that the market for b&w motion picture films is probably not that great these days. It's sad, because I appreciate black and white in all mediums - and of course I'm a user of 5231 as well. But every time something is discontinued people hop out to make a bunch of hyper-negative comments about how the sky is falling. I agree, it sucks, write them if you feel strongly about it.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    Well if they used the exact same master roll of still plus-x for MP I would also agree 2F/2F!
    Err, it's a completely different emulsion to stills Plus-X. It's not even the same speed, and the MP version is a reversal.

I do not agree that stills is dependant on MP. Ilford, Foma, Efke and arguably Fuji have stills film production that is completely independant of MP either because they dont make MP at all or because MP (in the case of fuji) is not as significant as it is for Kodak who are the market leader worldwide in MP. And Agfa discontinued MP film long and continued to produce plenty of stills film and paper for years.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post

I import most of my film from eBay (fresh film), their fresh stuff still has to bought from Fuji and Ilford, and some online overseas sites.

I rarely buy anything from a retail shop in Australia, film is like $12-$25 per roll here, an utter massive rip-off.

There'll still be Chinese made film around, which is my favourite b&w. (Shanghai, ERA) Perhaps Lucky might make their colour into 120, perhaps they might make colour positives again, who knows

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin