Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,950   Posts: 1,585,954   Online: 957

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    I hate to break it to you but a lot of pros use film for niche or personal projects, me included. We just don't have time to post on here as much as many of you do because we choose to spend our time making photographs instead of wasting time on forums...
    Obviously not nearly enough to keep it in production.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolleiflexible View Post
    Obviously not nearly enough to keep it in production.
    Sanders what's your apparent lack of care about this particular film being discontinued? Is it that you don't care about Plus-X or MP Plus-X because you don't use it? It seems you're rather nonchalant about it.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My lack of care, as you put it, is a simple recognition that not
    every decision is part of The End Of Film As We Know It. In this
    case, there are plenty of market forces driving this product off the
    market and they have nothing to do with digital processes, and
    everything to do with general disuse of B+W among filmmakers.

The original post provoked the usual alarms, that reflect (and in turn
    feed) the worst fears of APUG users. The pot gets stirred, over and
    over. But this decision is not a result of film's displacement by digital
    cameras. It is, rather, the result of B+W film having been displaced
    by another analog medium: color film.

To claim that this is the beginning of the end of Kodak's photographic
    films -- Plus-X or any other -- is Chicken Little for the new millenium.
    Last edited by Rolleiflexible; 04-15-2010 at 10:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolleiflexible View Post
    To claim that this is the beginning of the end of Kodak's photographic
    films -- Plus-X or any other -- is Chicken Little for the new millenium.
    Absolutely agreed.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    I hate to break it to you but a lot of pros use film for niche or personal projects, me included. We just don't have time to post on here as much as many of you do because we choose to spend our time making photographs instead of wasting time on forums...
    What was meant by your statement, "I hate to break it to you"? I would like to hear a straightforward presentation of exactly what you meant by your post. All it was was a sarcastic sidestep around telling us all that we are all amateurs wasting our time, while you, the pro, is so far above that. If you are going to say something, say it.

"Professionals who have abandoned film" means something quite different than, "Professionals, who have abandoned film." The former simply describes a certain group of people who have done something. It specifies who is in the group being discussed based on what they have done (abandoned film). The latter states that all of a group of people have done something. I used the former.

...and besides that, you are just wrong in thinking that what I said is wrong.

Do you really disagree that professionals who have abandoned film (not professionals, who have abandoned film) have created a large difference in the amount of film that is sold, compared that that which used to be sold? Might this difference be reasonably described as a "gap"? Because that is what I said, to which you took exception, with unreasonable attitude.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 04-16-2010 at 02:46 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    There. My ten new rolls of Plus-X 120 arrived today. I don't know if Plus-X 135 and 120 are endangered though. I haven't used Plus-X since the early 1990's when I discovered Agfa APX 100. I still have APX 100 and 25 in my freezer, but they can sleep there a while. I will mostly shoot Kodak and Ilford (and some Efke) this year.

I will start with finetuning the times for PXP in Agfa 17 1+1, my standard film developer.
    J. Patric Dahlén

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin