Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,596   Online: 868

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Microphen why no 5l size?

I'm really confused about why this stuff only comes in 1l packages, it's meant to be good for pushing yet you're not supposed to re-use it or dilute it when you push which makes it extremely expensive to use compared to others, 2.5 films for £5! So I was wondering why is there no 5l packets available. I tried Xtol but I only ever get thin negs with Kodak Tmax 400, while HP5+ works great in Xtol, I just can't seem to get the same great results with Xtol +Tmax that I get with Michrophen + Tmax.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Microphen was originally supplied in far larger sizes as well, and had a replenisher, it was declining demand that lead to the withdrawal of the larger sizes over the years.

Tmax 400 is superb in Xtol, I used the combination from the mid 80's until 3 years ago when I switched to Ilford films, and Pyrocat HD as my main developer.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Try Paul Farber's Acufine substitute and mix in whatever quantities you like. The citation I have for this is Oct. 1984, Photographic magazine, which may have given it in teaspoons and tablespoons, but I weigh the ingredients in grams and use it in a 5 quart 5x7" tank. It lasts quite a long time (many months), as long as it isn't subject to high heat, and capacity for 5 quarts is about 160 rolls or equivalent, increasing development time by 2% after 80 rolls. Because the heat issue can take you by surprise, you might test a film leader to be sure it hasn't crashed, if you haven't used it for a bit.--

Water (125F)--about 2.5 cups
    Phenidone--0.25 g
    Sodium sulfite--53.2 g
    Hydroquinone--4.5 g
    Borax--2.5 g
    Sodium Carbonate--2.25 g
    Potassium Bromide--0.8 g
    Water to make 1 quart

I'm sure there's a Microphen-like formula out there as well, but this is what I happen to use.

You can also still get real Acufine, Acufine replenisher, and Acu-1 one-shot developer. B&H usually has it.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ajuk,

If you can scratch mix your own solutions, ID-68 should be listed on APUG in the articles section under non-staining film developers. Otherwise, T-Max 400 should work without issue in XTOL. The Kodak pdf for XTOL gives very good starting points.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe.../j109/j109.pdf

Tom

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'd rather buy it no one sell a microphen equivalent? Seems odd when Kodak go the other way with Xtol (which just can't do Tmax 400 properly) Microphen is a one shot developer when used to push, but you get enough to do only 2.5 rolls for £5, nice.

Shooter
    35mm
    ajuk. Presumably Ilford would give the same answer to your question as I got to mine on why no 2.5L or 5L of Perceptol. Simply lack of demand is I suspect the answer although I appreciate your argument about cost when it is 1L only. The powder for both devs must be made by the manufacturers (not Ilford itself) by the ton for Ilford and it would seem simple to put it in bigger bags to see what the demand might be when the price is reduced proportionally.

However do not hold your breath

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ajuk View Post
    ......... Xtol (which just can't do Tmax 400 properly) ..................
    Interesting that you keep saying this after others have posted in does a great job. It seems like a question you might want to ask is how they do it. I have little experience with either one and would be interested in the answer, since I plan to start using Xtol soon.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Either buy XTOL or buy five 1 liter Microphens.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Ajuk,

Very simple, its all about demand, a 5lt Microphen would need to be more expensive than 5 x 1lt Microphens to get an acceptable return against manufacturing volume versus stock turns.

Hence no 5lt, I am really sorry.

Simon. ILFORD photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Interesting that you keep saying this after others have posted in does a great job. It seems like a question you might want to ask is how they do it. I have little experience with either one and would be interested in the answer, since I plan to start using Xtol soon.
    I think I did ask and they said the times on the MDC are correct.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin