Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,327   Posts: 1,536,988   Online: 1195

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Fomapan R rumour

There's a rumour circulating in the .cz domain that Foma is about to start rolling Fomapan R (their B&W reversal film) onto 120 spools this summer, thus making it available for medium format shooting. Fingers crossed!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That would be super cool if they did. I've never been interested in the stuff in a 35mm format, but if it was medium format or large format that would be a whole different story!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hope it's true!

Jeff

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    can't say more than
    Aurelien, Analog Photographer

the analog place to be

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've just bought a Bausch & Lomb 6x6 projector....
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is DR5 lab the only place that reverses this film for you, or can you also send it to Foma or something?

I am very interested in it as a negative film, personally. I ran out of 120 Scala, which I used exclusively as a negative film, usually for winter landscape pix.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is possible to have this film processed commercially in Prague and possibly also in Hradec Králové, but I develop it at home using the chemistry kit they sell. This is a lot cheaper and more fun. Quite a few people develop the film using generic chemicals (with or without modifying the process), but I'm too lazy for that. The official Foma R process may look crude and unsophisticated (with the single developer, potassium permanganate and light reversal step). It seems to work perfectly with this film nonetheless. If there's anything left to be desired, I'm yet to discover it. I shoot a lot of Fomapan R along with different Fujichrome films, and I'm very fond of the look it gives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frdrx View Post
    It is possible to have this film processed commercially in Prague and possibly also in Hradec Králové, but I develop it at home using the chemistry kit they sell. This is a lot cheaper and more fun. Quite a few people develop the film using generic chemicals (with or without modifying the process), but I'm too lazy for that. The official Foma R process may look crude and unsophisticated (with the single developer, potassium permanganate and light reversal step). It seems to work perfectly with this film nonetheless. If there's anything left to be desired, I'm yet to discover it. I shoot a lot of Fomapan R along with different Fujichrome films, and I'm very fond of the look it gives.
    Sounds similar, if not identical, to Ilford's published reversal process.

Where do you get the reversal kits? You need to fill out a D.E.A. form here in the U.S. to purchase the sulfuric acid and, I believe, the pot. permanganate (though it may be one of the other chemicals of which I am thinking). If I could get a reversal kit without all that jazz, it would be great.

I have not tried the Formulary reversal kit, so I don't know if it is similar (or identical) to the Ilford process. However, it is crazily expensive, so I have never tried it.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just go for it to our little local shop (Foto Škoda -- okay, it's not little at all). I can also order it directly from Foma at a similar price. Macodirect in Germany also have it, but they ask a lot more, as do fomafoto.com. In Britain, it's carried, for example, by Silverprint. Sadly, my short search failed to find an supplier in America. The content is intended for eight 35mm rolls, but I usually manage to develop ten by processing two rolls in one tank. I must reiterate that there's nothing proprietary about the process, so the kit is a bit superfluous.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by frdrx View Post
    I just go for it to our little local shop (Foto Škoda -- okay, it's not little at all). I can also order it directly from Foma at a similar price. Macodirect in Germany also have it, but they ask a lot more, as do fomafoto.com. In Britain, it's carried, for example, by Silverprint. Sadly, my short search failed to find an supplier in America. The content is intended for eight 35mm rolls, but I usually manage to develop ten by processing two rolls in one tank. I must reiterate that there's nothing proprietary about the process, so the kit is a bit superfluous.
    The thing that strikes me is that Foma uses the same developer as the first and second developer, while the more traditional process would require a silver halide added to the first developer.
    Plus, if you try to process other films than Foma R100, halve the permanganate otherwise the bleach is way too concentrated and you'll end with black junk floating in the tank.
    Personally tested.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin