Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,720   Posts: 1,514,908   Online: 1053

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

When did FP4 become FP4+?

I have an old box of FP4 with no expiration that I can find. Since it's regular FP4 and not FP4 PLUS, then I should be able to figure out how young it's not, right?
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Large Format
    20 years ago, roughly.

Shooter
    35mm
    Most of the other film it came with expired in the late 80s, so that sounds about right. What are the odds it's still shootable? I'll test it when I get a chance.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Its very shootable.

I shot some non+ HP5 that was that old with a 2 stop push in processing, worked very well, except a couple of the frames had 90 ft cats in the middle of my wide angle street night photos.. seems like it was used.. it was given to me with some other film in 2008 when I was overseas.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I have an old box of FP4 with no expiration that I can find. Since it's regular FP4 and not FP4 PLUS, then I should be able to figure out how young it's not, right?
    Back then Ilford used a letter/number code that indicated the date of manufacture it was always an over printing on the label/box, so something like E74 meant 1974.

Ian

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    >>>What are the odds it's still shootable?
    Coincidentally only last night I developed a roll of FP4 (no Plus) from about 1990 (I'd have to look again at the can to be sure of the expiry date) only last night. I found this sealed 100ft roll in a rubbish skip a few years ago (whilst looking for somewhere to sleep for the night!) I use it occasionally for non-critical purposes and it's still surprisingly good. The base fog is increased, but not to the point where it's really a problem. Looking at the negs, the fog looks far worse than the way it actually manifests itself in the printing process. With a little bit of experimenting with contrast/filters it's perfectly usable. I rate it at 100ASA and develop as normal. Of course, how your film has been stored over its life will have a bearing on its usability - I've no idea how mine spent its days before I rescued it!
    Best wishes,
    Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    Back then Ilford used a letter/number code that indicated the date of manufacture it was always an over printing on the label/box, so something like E74 meant 1974.
    Mine says "10BB11005"
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep. 1905.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That'll be the emulsion/batch number, there was usually a one letter two digit code as well. This was used on all Ilford products, film, developers, raw chemicals.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
    >>>- I've no idea how mine spent its days before I rescued it!
    Best wishes,
    Steve
    Based on your story and the era, probably on the streets, living under cardboard looking at the old posters saying Labour Isn't Working and asking passers-by near an underground station if they had any spare developer and fixer.

You were just in time

pentaxuser

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin