Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,217   Posts: 1,532,168   Online: 973

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101115 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    And it still shows up on the web site.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Well, I did an extensive series of tests today using the Efke direct positive, matte finish paper.

I had done some tests last year, enough to know that this paper requires a significantly greater amount of preflash than what I normally give to conventional paper negatives to control contrast. As a comparison, my normal paper negative preflash time is around 8 seconds of light using my specially-built lighting source in my darkroom; the Efke paper requires 28 seconds.

Today's tests were done also to confirm a good working exposure index, which for my process and equipment ended up being at 1.6. I discovered that this paper exhibits some very frustrating tendencies of reciprocity failure, even within exposure times that film (and certainly conventional printing paper) would have no issues with. For instance, I did two exposures, one at f/22 and 2 seconds, the other at f/5.6 and 1/10 second, both should have given the same density since they're equivalent exposures on my meter; the results varied widely. In comparison, I've used normal printing paper in both pinhole and glass lensed cameras and have not seen significant reciprocity failure from exposure times as little as hundredths of a second to upwards of 5 minutes or longer. This Efke paper is a different breed entirely.

This led me to the principle of keeping the preflash and in-camera exposure times constant, and varying the subject's lighting and the f-stop in order to arrive at the correct metered exposure. I bottomed out on a 1-second exposure in the camera, accompanied by the 28 second preflash in the darkroom, and varied the Speed Graphic's Ektar lens aperture to adjust exposure according to the handheld meter's recommendation at EI=1.6.

Even so, minute variations in exposure time result in visible differences in print density. But my results point to being able to use this paper and achieve almost normal contrast images. I say "almost" because the d-max of the paper appears to be not nearly as dense as what I'm used to with fine printing papers.

I'm hoping to eventually try out the Harman paper and see if it performs significantly better. At least we would have the option of a fiber based paper.

I'll get some sample images from my series of tests posted soon.

~Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Somewhat OT and not directly related to the subject (direct positive paper), but through this thread I found out about Susanna Kraus and her IMAGO camera. Awesome! Here's a Youtube link (in German, but still fascinating!).
    And another one - with more details about the camera, etc...
    Last edited by Denis P.; 04-27-2010 at 02:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis P. View Post
    Somewhat OT and not directly related to the subject (direct positive paper), but through this thread I found out about Susanna Kraus and her IMAGO camera. Awesome! Here's a Youtube link (in German, but still fascinating!).
    She will be at Photokina in Cologne this year. You should come.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe VanCleave View Post
    ...this paper requires a significantly greater amount of preflash than what I normally give to conventional paper negatives to control contrast...
    Have you ever tried to control the contrast of paper negatives with a yellow filter and weak developer? That's how I make my paper negatives on Ilford MGIV with great success. I don't use a pre-flash for paper negatives at all and still get a negative contrast range of about 1.2, which is equivalent of a normal film negative. This doesn't work for Ilford's direct-positive paper by the way.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis P. View Post
    Absolutely fascinating Denis, thanks for sharing!

I have added the YouTube Video's on the APUG Video section.

Marco
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Next step a direct positive film, perhaps? (Hopefully!)

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks for the link to the you tube video!
    she must have a special "blue-light"
    the strobe and intensity of the light
    is really miniscule ...
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I hate to make you chaps jealous, but Ilford has just contacted me to say that I'll be getting some samples shortly.

I'll let you know what I think ASAP...

Regards
    Jerry

Shooter
    Medium Format

Note From HARMAN

Dear All,

Please find links that should help.

The Press Release :

www.ilfordphoto.com/pressroom/article.asp?n=128

How to buy page :

www.ilfordphoto.com/dpp

Regards Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin