Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,634   Online: 982

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111216 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm definitely intrigued.... seems like a few sheets would cut down nicely and give my 'obscure sized' plate camera collection an outing. It is such a pain trying to cut down sheet film and somehow persuade it to sit in a glass plate holder. I presume this paper is blue sensitive, so the whole process cutting and loading could be done by darkroom safelights?

I like the monobath suggestion, too, for near polaroid like results ;-)

Right, who's going to be first up with a formula for a low contrast monobath developer for paper?

Here's Geoffrey Crawley's monobath:

FX-6a

Sodium Sulphite (anhydrous) 50gms
    Hydroquinone 12gms
    Phenidone 1gm
    Sodium Hydroxide 10gms
    Sodium Thiosulphate 90gms
    Water to I litre

Obviously it's intended for film. I believe to lower the contrast you drop the level on hydroquinone - and also lower the pH (reduce the hydroxide?)

Any developer gurus able to put definite figures on it, or suggest a better alternative?
    Steve

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've used FX-6a for film, and it tends toward high contrast. To reduce contrast increase the thiosulfate and to reduce it more, decrease the hydroquinone. The thiosulfate is the "timer", so if you increase it, you effectively reduce the development time.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_e007 View Post
    ...I presume this paper is blue sensitive, so the whole process cutting and loading could be done by darkroom safelights?...
    Yes, but dark red only, no amber! Right from the instruction sheet:

2. SAFELIGHT RECOMMENDATIONS
    Unexposed paper must only be used with Ortho (deep red) safelight such as ILFORD 906 containing a 15W bulb or equivalent. As a precaution against fogging, it is advised that the light be a minimum of 1.2m/4ft from the paper at all times. Safelight exposure should be kept to a minimum and unused paper returned to its original packaging for storage.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry lebens View Post
    I hate to make you chaps jealous, but Ilford has just contacted me to say that I'll be getting some samples shortly.

I'll let you know what I think ASAP...

Regards
    Jerry
    got mine aready

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just got this as an email:

HARMAN DIRECT POSITIVE PAPER is available in most popular photographic sizes from 4x5in to 16x20in. Visit ilfordphoto.com or harmanexpress.com for full product availability information and to download the Technical Information booklets (pdf files).

At present this new paper can only be purchased direct from our factory in Cheshire and customers in the UK can order via our shopping website www.harmanexpress.com.

Customers from outside the UK should "contact us" via the website or telephone Customer Services on +44 1565 684000 so that overseas shipment can be arranged.

We are planning later this year to make this range of products available in Europe and the US via dedicated web sites selling in Euros and Dollars.

Steven Brierley
    Sales & Marketing Director
    HARMAN technology Ltd
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ilford is to be commended for bringing out a new product.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Have you ever tried to control the contrast of paper negatives with a yellow filter and weak developer? That's how I make my paper negatives on Ilford MGIV with great success. I don't use a pre-flash for paper negatives at all and still get a negative contrast range of about 1.2, which is equivalent of a normal film negative. This doesn't work for Ilford's direct-positive paper by the way.
    Ralph, I've been working with paper negatives for probably 15 years; I've developed a method using grade 2 paper and preflashing that works pretty good for me, with a dilute developer, that works in both pinhole as well as lensed cameras. In all that time, however, I haven't used a yellow filter with MG paper, instead choosing to stick with the method that works for me. I suppose I'm stubborn. :rolleyes:

The thing I noticed about this Efke direct positive paper is its reciprocity issues, which conventional paper just doesn't have. But working with it yesterday has led me to one method of getting repeatable results, which is to fix the paper's exposure time to a calibrated value and modify the subject's lighting and/or the aperture size instead.

It will be interesting to see how the Harman paper reacts.

~Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Yes, but dark red only, no amber!
    That's ok, I can live with that, still better than wielding a razor sharp craft knife in total darkness! :o

So...Orthochromatic, even better from a usability point of view as it gives us some control with filtration. I'm going to order some right now...
    Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've made some tests with the harman paper today and i am seeing exactly what Joe VanCleave above is reporting for the Efke. Anything faster than a 1 second exposure and the print is virtually black. Anything much past 4 seconds, and the contrast starts to soar, even with zone 3 pre-flashes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe VanCleave View Post
    ...I haven't used a yellow filter with MG paper, instead choosing to stick with the method that works for me. I suppose I'm stubborn...
    You may want to give it a try. It really does wonders in controlling dense highlights.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin