Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,422   Online: 1052

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    Well, unless the MSDS isn't mentioning something - no, it is not Microdol-X.

It is the original Microdol formula - which anyone can make. If you use this with modern films you will get dichroic fog. I'm rather startled Freestyle would sell something that is guaranteed to have problems.
    When I tested the formula last year there was no trace of Dichroic fog, and I was with a photographer last week who uses the formula as his main developer again with no fogging.

There was a tendency of Dichroic fog with some of Kodak's films in certain developers in the late 50's and early 60's which was why DK-20 went out of production, and why Microdol-X replaced Microdol. Geoffrey Crawley writing in 1960/1 indicated that the problem was unique to Kodak films and that Ilford films had no issues, in fact for this reason it was a few years before Ilford replaced their ID-48 solvent developer (equivalent to DK-20) with Perceptol.

Kodak didn't recommend Tmax developer with LF Tmax films because of possible Dichroic fogging which may indicate that Tmax films in the substitute formulae might suffer, but I suspect the issues are with oxidation in Rotary processors.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 05-04-2010 at 11:11 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Microdol and Microdol-X are NOT the same formula.

Also, the "secret ingredient" is not Benzophenone nor is it a Benzophenone derivative according to my notes.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Real or not I don't know. Never used Microdol-X before but tried Mic-X last week and it's just beautiful.
    G.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin