Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,603   Online: 1095

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertV View Post
    Well a raw scan (6x7cm) from Rollei Retro 100 Tonal. Souped in AM74/RHS 1+9 6:00 minutes.
    Subject: River Labe/Elbe.

Compared to the Rollei Retro 100 (APX 100) less grain and also a large tonality.

The Polyester 100 micron base is pretty flat but keep the backing paper tight on the roll because the base is clear and you do not want to fog the last negative.

What do you want to prove with a tiny 132KB photo from a scan? Quality? Great tonality? Sharpness? Fine grain?
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The original on the flickr is quite a bit larger.

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by werra View Post
    The original on the flickr is quite a bit larger.
    Thanks for the hint, now it's possible to look at it in detail.

On the Flickr image you can really see that a scan from a 6x7cm negative of that film causes a lot of grain for 6x7cm. If I scan such a big negative using FP4 I get practically no grain at that size, with Tmax 100 literally no grain at all. It looks like an average scan from an average 35mm negative. I can do better with Tri-X in 35mm.

Now, where is the progress when a 6x7 cm negative causes as much grain as a 35mm negative? "Tonality"? It's not different than with any other b/w film, and on the branches you can easily see that the images was sharpened.

Or is this simply a way of trying to plant surreptitious advertising on APUG - and that it turns into a barrel burst?
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Shooter
    35mm
    I can't see anything on flickr. has the picture already been removed? If so, very bad style!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas.Goehler View Post
    I can't see anything on flickr. has the picture already been removed? If so, very bad style!
    Judge for yourself--

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotohui...79241/sizes/o/
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, obviously I had the wrong link.

Hm, nothing spectacular. I guess I agree with cmo on that. Above all, quite a bad scan.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rollei Retro 100 Tonal

There's definitely some Maco axe grinding going on here. Anyways people who use APX aren't using it for it's grain. They're using it for it's unique tonality and response. Who cares about the grain when the "look" is already so good.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't see anything wrong with that scan. In fact it looks pretty good compared to my crummy scans. Besides, what can you tell from a scan?

Just sneakpeeked macodirect.de but nothing there yet :-(

Come on!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cmo View Post
    If the film is available in months and you get the films next week, how is your connection with the supplier?
    Extremely good! I have now tested 1 roll in 120 in a studio setting, close portraiture. picture will be posted soon. Next up is to test 4x5" and 120 outside in high contrast scenes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sandermarijn View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with that scan.
    Look at the garnularity in the sky. It's either overdeveloped or the film is grainy. I used quite a bit of APX 100, still have some 135 in stock, and a few rolls of PO100c. Graininess is worse and sharpness lower with PO100c and tonality as well as response to filters is very different due to the different spectral sensitivity. PO has next to no red-sensitivity and lacks APX's enhanced sensitivity in the green part of the spectrum which was one of its key feature when using it for landscapes.

Trying to tell customers that anything in the line of PO100c is a suitable substitute for APX100 must be either ignorance or insolance. But I'm rather sure that otoh we will be told in due time that all this is just nitpicking and it sells like hot cake. Oh, well...
    Last edited by skahde; 05-28-2010 at 12:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin