Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,981   Posts: 1,523,818   Online: 1156

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jglass View Post
    Can I ask you guys what you do with your 2 1/4 slides? Project or just scan? Do you print?
    As for me, I get nice prints from a really great custom lab, may consider getting a scanner.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I used to use 220 film. And my favourite film is still available in 220 today, so i would again.
    But i do not so much anymore since i have to pay not twice, but three times as much as for the same emulsion in 120 at my suppliers. Used to be, long time ago, that a roll of 220 was even cheaper than two rolls of 120. It wouldn't surpirse me that the increased price of 220 where i get it from is due to it being a slow mover in the market.
    I like the convenience of fewer rolls for trips, but not that much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    the thing I like about 220 vs 120 now though is this:

developing price per roll. Most labs will process 120 and 220, but 220 is generally only 50% more price-wise. This is great when you are shooting for clients(like most of the people I assist for, those who are still shooting film), because it allows more shots to be taken, with a smaller budget for processing/scanning.

220 is great too if you like to shoot your MF camera like a machine gun . I do sometimes, and a 220 rolls can sometimes only last a minute or so !!!

but the real answer is this: IF WE WANT 220, WE NEED TO SHOW THAT WE WANT IT(I.E. BUY IT!!!!) kodak and fuji will need to make more if we buy and shoot as much as possible.

-Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    the thing I like about 220 vs 120 now though is this:

developing price per roll. Most labs will process 120 and 220, but 220 is generally only 50% more price-wise. This is great when you are shooting for clients(like most of the people I assist for, those who are still shooting film), because it allows more shots to be taken, with a smaller budget for processing/scanning.

220 is great too if you like to shoot your MF camera like a machine gun . I do sometimes, and a 220 rolls can sometimes only last a minute or so !!!

but the real answer is this: IF WE WANT 220, WE NEED TO SHOW THAT WE WANT IT(I.E. BUY IT!!!!) kodak and fuji will need to make more if we buy and shoot as much as possible.

-Dan

Dan,

You speak my language

The lab that I use... 220 vs 120 is actually less than 50% more per roll for processing, that means more shots/less time in changing magazines... better budget control... cash wise and time wise.

I too, use my ELX in "A" mode. Nothing and I repeat, nothing is more annoying than changing magazines 4x a minute (with an A12 mag), Nothing and I repeat nothing is more likely to kill the mood of a good spontaneous shoot, than annoucing to one and all, "Excuse me, while I change magazines... I'm out of film"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find that, barring fashion, MF for me is a more contempative meduim. When doing portraits I find that 12 shots is a good run for me before an adjustment in hair, outfit or makeup.

I am hard pressed to put a roll of 220 though my camera in a day of wandering around at my own pace shooting.

I do travel with an XA and a 35mm rangefinder or slr in the same bag as the mamiya 330f I lug on these sort of days.

I should I suppose shoot it faster, since I have a stash of about 40 220's and 300 120 rolls in the freezer at the moment.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    According to the latest list I have from Kodak and my contact at Fuji, I'm pretty certain there are only two 220 films left in production - Portra 160NC and 400NC.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt,

Within the last few years I have vague recollections of the Fuji colour neg and transparency films being advertised in 220. A format I hasten to add that I've not used, but would if available for black & white stocks. Especially 400 speed film in sub-optimal weather conditions.

Tom

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Provia 100F and Astia 100F are available in 220 in the U.S. They may not be distributed in other locations.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes... but when you filter out the choices, there are only 8 "slide films", 2 of them are Kodak -100VS, the remaining 6 are Fuji.
    Is E200 gone?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    120:220 film sales ratio, is around 100:5. Or even 200:5, according to my limited knowledge.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin