Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,390   Online: 657

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak never sold film directly, ever! It was all sold through distributors.

So, you have to look up the products themselves. All films today are listed as professional products IIRC.

But, they do have one store in Rochester on Ridge Road. It is open to anyone, but some purchases can only be made using a Kodak ID card (Current or Retired). This is a different matter however and a special case.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    All films today are listed as professional products IIRC.

PE
    Nope. Under the Kodak Store button they show "Film and Processing", which goes to a "Consumer Film" page. That shows Ultramax, Gold, and BW400CN under print film. It also shows APS film, and under slide film, the Elitechromes and Kodachrome (that hurts). No mention of the other film products.
    It's necessary to go to All Kodak Products and Services up at the right, then down to Pro Photographer/Lab then navigate from there to get to all the other B+W films and the rest of the C-41 and E-6 films.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess I just automatically go here: http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...?pq-path=13319

Try it, you will like it!

Maybe that is why I don't go the other route.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I will. I've got it bookmarked now.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

PE
    PE:

Agreed, but as far as I am aware, they also never sent letters to employees, retired or otherwise, encouraging them to buy products of any type, from a website or otherwise.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PE
    Actually that's not the case at all, well in the UK & Ireland anyway, Kodak had their own trade outlets selling direct to the photographic profession and they also sold an extremely wide range of non Kodak items. Ademco Dry mounting Presses, Thornton Pickard & Dallmeyer (Packard) shutters to name a few, but essentially they sold everything a photographer could possibly need. It's a fascinating catalogue.

In adverts Kodak list their own retail outlets in many UK cities, including 4 in London, and Birmingham, Newcastle, Glasgow and Dublin and with separate wholesale outlets in those cities and also Leeds & Manchester.

I've attached their terms & conditions that came with a 1940 Kodak Catalogue I bought in April.

Ian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kodak1940a.jpg   kodak1940.jpg  
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 06-16-2010 at 07:59 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add image

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll expand and clarify my original statement.

Kodak had distribution sites in the US as well, but only sold to professional studios and to photofinishers. I used to shop there with my boss when I worked in the photofinishing lab while I was going to college. The consent decree in the 50s put an end to Kodak sales to any private individual or photofinishing lab in the US. Those stores closed. Distributorships were set up via wholesalers.

Sales to the general public were nonexistent except in the very early days of Kodak when they had Kodak stores selling "Kodaks". This was short lived, probably lasting into the '20s or perhaps they closed sooner.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ron, did the US Kodak trade stores sell non Kodak products like in the UK ? The interesting thing about my 1940's Kodak catalogue is the items made in the UK under license from US manufacturers, Dallmeyer making Packard shutters, also sold as Studio shutters fitted to lens panels for Kodak LF cameras, Wray making Grafmatic backs etc.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The store I visited only sold professional products, and those only to bona fide professionals. Usually, they were known customers from that area. They sold professional cameras (LF) with Kodak names on them, but I am pretty sure that they sold Speed Graphic equipment as well. I have 2 of them that my Uncle said were bought at the Pittsburgh store on Saw Mill Run Blvd which I have visited several times. This would have been in the 30s or 40s.

As I wrote this, I wondered if I had seen some Leedall equipment there as well as Calumet. These would have been SS sinks, basket processors and other item. The Nitrogen burst equipment was all EK stuff. This was in the 50s.

IDK about the stores in the 20s. I'm not THAT old.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak Ltd (UK) were distributors (and importers) for other company's up until at least the 1950's. The 1940 Catalogue lists the full range of Graflex cameras with a choice of lenses from 3 different UK manufacturers, but then Graflex had been owned by Kodak at one time.

Kodak was sole distributor for Ross lenses in Australia & New Zealand, Singapore etc, before WWII and I'd guess other items from other companies as well, much the same as Ilford now distribute Paterson products outside the UK.

Ian

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin