Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,809   Posts: 1,581,536   Online: 947

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Agfa has recently stated that they manufacture more than 1 million sqare meters a day of halide film (the way I read it).
    Yes, my memory gets old. Do you have a link to the Agfa source? I did only find a second hand information on this.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ath View Post
    Yes, my memory gets old. Do you have a link to the Agfa source? I did only find a second hand information on this.
    Hello Andreas,

here is the original statement:

http://www.agfa.com/en/sp/news_event...mitment_EN.jsp

The number of 1 million coated m² every day includes all their film products, PCB film, movie film, aerial film, surveillance film, micro film, graphic film, medical films.

Best regards,
    Henning

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Henning, I read it differently, halide film as indicated in post #9.
    Last edited by AgX; 07-28-2010 at 06:33 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: underlining

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    I've also seen it said that the masterolls are now made in larger batches from time-to-time, maybe once or twice a year (rather than as a continual process for every different film as when demand was much higher) , then stored for cutting and packaging as needed.
    Not in general.
    There was a very interesting report about the modernised production methods of Kodak in Rochester in the DemocratChronicle on 4th January, 2009.
    Journalists visited the Rochester plant and reported about the new production in Building 38.

I quote from this article: "....And the company remains steadfast that camera film will continue to be a part of its business, though admittedly increasingly a niche product.
    "You come back in 10 years, there will be a film business here," said Joel T. Proegler, general manager of film capture and a vice president in Kodak's film, photofinishing and entertainment group. It'll be smaller. Maybe there will be a bigger space between innovations."......

Kodak switched a year ago from churning out large batches of film at a time to doing almost daily runs of small batches that are tied to consumer demand. The advantage is that the company carries far less inventory on hand, said operations manager Sue Sweet."

Best regards,
    Henning

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Henning, I read it differently, halide film as indicated in post #9.
    You mean the 1 million m² are excluding PCB film? Then Agfas total output would be even much higher.

"Agfa is already one of the last film manufacturers serving both the Graphic art industry, the medical industry and several other film segments. Total output of Agfa film exceeds 1 million square meters per day."

...and several other film segments. I understand it that way that all film products are included in this number.

But don't let us start bean counting.....

Best regards,
    Henning

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak's total output is probably far larger due to the contribution of the Motion Picture products. Its capacity is larger by far than its output, as at present they are operating one shift per day on average and only 5 days per week. If they went to their 3 shift per day, 7 day per week schedule, it would be awesome, what they could produce, but the market would not be there for that output.

And, this only includes film in Rochester. If you include paper in England and Colorado, that figure climbs quite substantially.

PE

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Henning, they make more films than halide films, but I read their statements as refering to halide films. And PCB films are among those.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wouldn't the easiest way to find out be to buy 1 stock and request the information as a stock holder? They would be compelled to give you accurate information. No?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by mrred View Post
    Wouldn't the easiest way to find out be to buy 1 stock and request the information as a stock holder? They would be compelled to give you accurate information. No?
    No. As a public company shareholder (owner) you have paid help (the management/executives) to increase shareholder value (further the interests of your corporation). It is not in your best interest to have trade secrets like this disclosed. As a public shareholder the best you could ever do would probably be, sales & profit by corporate division from the financial statements.

Robert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most major movies are still produced on 35mm film. Only around 15% of all movie theaters worldwide have converted to digital. In some areas that is higher or lower but, on average, Hollywood is still 80% or 90% film based.

There are an average of 2 or 3 movies produced by Hollywood per week. (Let's say 2 per week.)

An average of 1,500 to 2,000 35mm release prints are struck for each movie. (Let's say 1,7000 for ease of calculation.)

Your average movie is 120 minutes long.

There are 90 feet of film for every minute of movie.

90 * 120 * 1700 * 2 = 36,720,000 feet of film produced just to meet Hollywood's weekly demand for theater release prints. That's a little over 6, 900 miles of film per week. 27,600 miles of film per month.

The earth is 24,900 miles in circumference at the equator. Therefore, every month Hollywood needs enough film to encircle the world just to meet its demand for movies!

This does not include Foriegn, European and independent movies. This does not include the Bollywood movies produced in India. This does not include film used in the production of movies. (e.g. camera film, duplication and lab film.) This does not include film that ends up on the cutting room floors.

I don't know exactly how much film is produced every year to satisfy our demand for movies but it sure is a lot!

I don't see film going away any time soon.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin