Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,714   Posts: 1,483,031   Online: 741

Shooter
    Multi Format

Target ending film send-out

I stopped by my local Target today, and saw the following sign:

"Attention Film Customers:
    Effective September 10, 2010
    We will no longer be offering
    send-out film processing.
    We are sorry for any inconvenience"

Looks like the end of the line for Target's film processing (they ended in-house processing last year). I know this isn't a big deal for most of you (including myself), but it's a blow for the consumer market.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the Target closest to me, I'm pretty sure they still do in-house, so this is likely something that is different in each store and not chain-wide.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like Bethe says it'll be town by town.

In another post today I commented how in many towns now only 1 or 2 labs actually do C41 processing, the rest are usually Digital input only. This is actually beneficial to the few labs still processing film as they get busier as a consequence and their whole film/print service become more viable.

All 3 of the big supermarkets where I come from in the UK ceased processing films last year, the minilabs are no longer on display and no counter just Digital kiosks. The camera shop is processing more films now than 3-4 years ago.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    My local Target in Dallas, TX still does 35mm film in-house. I don't know if they do send-out, or ever did.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Target near where I live still does 35mm film in house.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Ian's point is right on. The more of these consumer "labs" that close, the more business goes to high quality, professional labs. A few months ago I had run some test shots on C-41 and a couple of rolls of T-Max. Since none of the shots would be keepers, and only wanting some medium res scans, I dropped them off at a Wal-mart. They sent them to Fuji, and over two weeks later the film finally came back.

It would have been better to just throw the film away. The quality of the scans and prints (which I didn't even want) were awful. I learned my lesson and all my film goes to my local pro lab, and I happily pay the price for quality.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    All 3 of the big supermarkets where I come from in the UK ceased processing films last year, the minilabs are no longer on display and no counter just Digital kiosks. The camera shop is processing more films now than 3-4 years ago.

Ian
    They seem to have disappeared from Tesco & Sainsburys I agree, but many Asda (UK version of Wal Mart) still have them, and they are one of the big 3 in the UK. Morrisons are 4th but I can't recollect ever seeing a processing unit in their stores. As for Asda, it never was the case that all of their stores had in-house processing facilities, and I don't imagine they will be installing new ones anywhere, but all their very big stores seem to have them. I've visited 3 of those in different parts of the country in recent weeks, and yesterday I handed a 35mm roll into their store at Farnborough, Hants. I could have had it done within an hour but it suits me to collect later this week. I hope the service continues because I've always found the quality excellent and you can get a CD scan for only 97p extra!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Obviously, Target is off target on film processing!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin