Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,669   Online: 890

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's sad. I thought Sensia was one of the volume sellers. I do not use slide film, but it's always sad when someone stop making a film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    Fuji UK stopped importing it into the the UK some months ago, though I believe that it is still manufactured and isavailable in some others countries in Europe, and, I'd guess, the US.
    Sorry if I panicked you unnecessarily!

(If Sensia is no longer economic to make, I wonder if Fuji are still producing some of the weird-and-wonderful films which they sell in other countries....Fortia, Natura, etc.?)
    pretty sure fortia is gone too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really liked Sensia. I mostly used the 400 and sometimes the 100; never the 200. Hopefully we still have Elite Chrome when we need a good-enough, cheap slide film.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The last sentence sums it up "a world that is rushing nowhere like a lot of headless chickens."
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    I really liked Sensia. I mostly used the 400 and sometimes the 100; never the 200. Hopefully we still have Elite Chrome when we need a good-enough, cheap slide film.
    Apart from price, do you see any other advantages in Fuji Sensia or Kodak Elitechrome?

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If Astia is gone too, as rumored, which I would believe because Fuji doesn't mention it as a replacement for Sensia, even though being the closest replacement -

Then this means that Fuji no more has any normal-to-low contrast slide film with a bit warmish, realistic but not subdued colors. This, on the other hand, may be good for Kodak. I've been a fan of Sensia 100 - I've called it "neg-like slide" because of it's all-around contrast - as any other Fuji product cannot do this anymore (if Astia is gone), what about Kodak E100G?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hrst View Post
    If Astia is gone too, as rumored, which I would believe because Fuji doesn't mention it as a replacement for Sensia, even though being the closest replacement -

Then this means that Fuji no more has any normal-to-low contrast slide film with a bit warmish, realistic but not subdued colors. This, on the other hand, may be good for Kodak. I've been a fan of Sensia 100 - I've called it "neg-like slide" because of it's all-around contrast - as any other Fuji product cannot do this anymore (if Astia is gone), what about Kodak E100G?
    As I'm planning to start Ilfochrome printing the lack of a low contrast slide film is not ideal.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    Apart from price, do you see any other advantages in Fuji Sensia or Kodak Elitechrome?
    Absolutely. It's the only Fuji film that delivers nice, normal contrast and colors suitable for most scenes without any "special effect" look. I especially don't like the "digital" look provided by some chrome films, which comes mostly from blown-up highlights.

Velvia 50 gives exaggerated colors, especially skin tones. I like it, but it's not all-arounder by any means.
    Velvia 100 and Velvia 100F are useless in most situations unless you shoot grey wall and want contrast and colors in it.
    Provia 100F gives you blown-out highlights very easily. Very interesting and nice look in most situations but not all.
    Provia 400X gives over-saturated, magentaish results. OK for some compositions.
    Astia 100F is/was the only Fuji Professional film that is meant for photographing people, or mentioned as a low-to-normal contrast film.

Sensia was the "consumer" version of the previous version of Astia, IIRC. It has the same qualities. It's also the only film I can say that almost every shot was good. With 35mm, and when travelling, I usually have no time or interest to have several camera bodies with different films for different scenes. Or, when I have, the first one is for neg and another one for chromes. And, then I have to use an all-around chrome film, like Sensia 100. Velvia 50 would be my second choice. I find that all the other Fujichromes blow up highlights too easily.

But, now I finally have a reason to try Kodak slide films!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post

Tom
    They are a bigger bang for the buck than the pro films, by far. Two-thirds the price, but better than two-thirds as good, therefore a better value. They are more than good enough in quality for anyone doing general-purpose photography (as good as the pro films, IMHO); it is just that they are not available in all formats.

When it comes to 35mm color pix, I really don't mess around with pro films that often. I don't see much of a point. Amateur films are excellent now (those few that remain, at any rate), and 35mm is not about image quality for me, so it is not something I bother to chase after much if using the format.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Couldn't you have just said that instead of simply calling it "chopped," especially when listing it alongside T64, which truly has been discontinued in manufacture? This is how bad information about film discontinuations gets around the Internet.
    I could, and should have said that......and I have already corrected my original statement and said "sorry". I am also sorry that I am not perfect.

(Although it always amazes me that people actually rely on ANY information published on the Internet without checking.....)
    Last edited by railwayman3; 08-11-2010 at 03:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin