Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,486   Online: 1002

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: T64 Revival?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd like to try that. Is that the best combination for color/speed as far as you've determined? How 'bout pushing 800z or Portra 800 one stop and using a CC filter?
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    35mm
    I've never had much success with getting a nice look from pushing print films. But pushed Provia 400X looks better to my eye than Superia 1600 at box speed. I read here recently that underexposed Superia 800 looks better than Superia 1600 also.

A few years back I was shooting in a car museum with Ektachrome 320T and when I ran out I loaded a roll of Provia 400X. I expected to get back some horribly orange slides but they weren't actually that bad - warm but not deep orange as I'd feared. Perhaps this was because of Fuji's 4th layer thing. As for cross processing 400X, it was just an idea I thought of recently but I'm not sure how it would turn out - some examples on flickr seem almost normal in daylight as well as indoors. But that could be due to some correction software.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Superia 1600 looks fantastic. Haven't tried to push it, 1600 has always been enough.

It isn't much different from Superia 800 but it's faster.

You can get a bit over EI 400 at most when shooting Provia 400X with 80A and push processing two stops, with somewhat weak, muddy blacks. OTOH, I get great results from Superia 1600 in very warm tungsten light just by overexposing one stop.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/skwp9/3...n/photostream/

Here's Provia 400x at 800 and as the photographer mentions, the next shot is the same subject but w/ 800z. It's hard to say how much is due to post-manipulation/converting negative into positive, but the Provia looks great.

Sorry for hijacking the post.

Shooter
    35mm
    The 'highjacking' here is actually producing a better discussion than speculating over T64! I'm thinking of trying hrst's idea of shooting Superia 1600 at 800 indoors.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Here's an interesting thread I've just found:
    http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=74478
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow, Provia 400x at 1600 wins hands down over the print films. However, a great point is raised at the very bottom; the cost of pushing E6 two stops.

I guess this wouldn't be an issue for any home brewers, of which I'm not one.

Shooter
    35mm
    Another factor is, I think, how you are displaying your photos - optical print, projection, scan + print, or scan only. I think each method will affect how a film looks in different ways.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You are discussing about scanning the slide film.

It is completely different than projection.

Scanning actually benefits from the DMAX loss with consumer-grade scanners because of CCD noise in high density areas.

OTOH, deep blacks is a MUST for a good projection experience when projecting dark night scenes (those often shot when high EI is most needed!)

You can get any color balance with any film type you want. With neg film, you have more freedom in darkroom. With slide film, you have to use filters on the lens when shooting.

In the example above, the photographer has decided to go with very different color balances, which is nice because the same image gets boring if nothing changes. It is not a film comparison. It is not a neg vs. slide film comparison. It does not compare color balances. That same 800Z can have almost any color balance you like.

Neg film and slide film have completely different purposes. Slide film is mostly for projection and neg film for printing. Both can be used for projection and printing but are quite different beasts, each having their own benefits and drawbacks.

I can say from experience that you CAN print that Fuji 800Z image as magentaish as the Provia picture -- but you CAN NOT print that Provia picture as greenish or neutral as the 800Z picture, at least not very easily.
    Last edited by hrst; 08-20-2010 at 01:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really hope it comes back - I loved my T64 each and every time I used it. I bought up the last of the stock from my local, family-owned lab several months back...then I moved away and it's now in the possession of my ex-girlfriend...it's a good thing she's a great photographer otherwise I'd be bummed!

Anyhow, hope it comes back and I hope I can find it now that I'm on the other side of the planet.
    -dereck|james|gignac
    dereckjamesgignac.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin