Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,699   Online: 1147

Shooter
    35mm

Kodak HD400 @ CVS this week: worth it?

Looked at CVS and the dust-covered Kodak HD-400 3 packs (72 exposures) were marked 12.99. Had them scan it, and it came up $9.74 before tax this week even though there was nothing on the shelf mentioning it or in the flyer. The film is short-dated, end of 2010. Is it worth it at this price?
    Last edited by B&Wpositive; 09-02-2010 at 09:35 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I shot a roll of HD200 a while back. It wasn't bad. As I recall blue popped more than other films. Supposedly the HD films have finer grain, so if you want to print large it may be an advantage. When I tried it, it wasn't on sale, and it was more expensive than other films like Superia - so, for me, it didn't provide that much more of a benefit to justify the premium. For you, though, this price is more in line with Superia or other Kodak films - I say go for it if you need some colour film.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    35mm
    I usually use Superia, and only ever shot 2 rolls of HD 400. My impression was that it was too saturated compared to Superia. Maybe a Kodak thing, I don't know. But I just checked the price of Superia 400, via B&H, and it's considerably lower than the HD400. Since the film is so short-dated at CVS and probably isn't any better than Superia, I'm thinking I might pass on it.

Heard something about a clearance on HD 400 at CVS on another site, but I don't see a clearance at my store. Wonder if they'll do it later this year...I'm more apt to wait for that possibility I think.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would say that it is worth it. What you don't use stick in the freezer.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    If you've ever shot royal gold, it's more or less hd 400.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin