Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,564   Posts: 1,573,412   Online: 901

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Randy;

The Technicolor product is being outsold by the digital products unfortunately.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We are at the end of an era, enjoy it while you can. It's Post Post Modern, Post Industrial Age.

By the way, why is a 100 sheet box of Kodak 8x10 XRay film with two emulsions $26.00 while 100 sheets of Kodak 8x10 general photography film with one emulsion $550.00, 10 boxes of 10 sheets?

Is Kodak trying to wean us off film by raising prices and reducing packaging content, how soon before others start doing it to us on a broad basis?

Once Kodak determines that digital can support the downsized company I expect to wake up one morning to a film product list that has one film sold one sheet at a time. They appear to be itching to get rid of film production.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I can't stand 3D movies. Just gives me a massive headache and not worth it one bit for me.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Ron,

Should I slap a Phase One P45 back on my Contax 645 now and call it a day? What's the prognosis in your professional opinion?

Best,

Max

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I recall Roger Ebert talking about the 3D BS and saying if they want to bring people into the theaters they should be shooting a regular non-3D process (which he referred to by name) that runs film through at 48 fps. Now that would be nice for film production.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Curt;

The Xray film is probably surplus and is a much less critical emulsion. It is also coated with less silver today due to the recently improved fluorescent screens used. So, a pro film is harder to make and higher in quality.

Max;

I have no idea! I am in the same boat you are, but getting the info a little sooner I guess. Lets wait and see, but I think that film still has a good lifetime. My post is intended to spur you guys to buy film, not to discourage you. Remember the guy here a few years ago predicting that film would be dead by 2008?

Lx;

I got to see some work by Douglas Trumbull and had a chance to talk to him for nearly 1 hour while he was waiting for his limousine (remember 2001?). Anyhow, the gist of his talk and what we talked about was his work on high speed projection. Yes, picture quality goes way up! And, you can project a single film print in 3D even if shot in 2D. This is in a recent patent by EK.

All is NOT lost. Just keep buying film!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All is NOT lost. Just keep buying film!

I'm doing that part.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I thought so.
    My local cinema began to go 3D with the release of "Avatar", they put a huge neon that screams "3D Digital".
    A few weeks ago I watched a film in that format and it was rather underwhelming. Yes, see some particles out of the screen but it wasn't impressive. When there was movement, everything was blurred; at the end, I had a slight headache.

I find it's another craze. Another reason for the big companies to get cash. Heck, the ticket is worth about 80-90% more than analog 2D.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Ultimately won't 4k+ cameras/projectors which are due in the next couple years do a lot more damage than 3D? With that much resolution I would imagine the technical/aesthetic advantages of film would not be very compelling to most producers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post

Lx;

I got to see some work by Douglas Trumbull and had a chance to talk to him for nearly 1 hour while he was waiting for his limousine (remember 2001?). Anyhow, the gist of his talk and what we talked about was his work on high speed projection. Yes, picture quality goes way up! And, you can project a single film print in 3D even if shot in 2D. This is in a recent patent by EK.

PE
    It would be marvelous to get that into quality feature films. Let the action and fantasy films have their 3D and let people discover and demand the higher quality in films where 3D adds nothing but distraction. Maybe it will diffuse back the other direction.
    I think the Wow factor will wear off in time, and the question will be if people are willing to pay more for it. I just hope that film projection can persist until then.

One of my biggest complaints regarding moviemaking is about blurring during pans. Maybe the higher frame rate would alleviate that?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin