Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,736   Posts: 1,670,376   Online: 877

Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1014151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by faustotesta View Post
    Should also BW rolls disappear i'll finally learn to play guitar.....
    Looks like I did it the wrong way round then!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Looks like I did it the wrong way round then!

Steve.
    What will you do when there will be only digital guitars around ?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by nickrapak View Post
    I think the main problem here is that the mainstream media has told us that digital=better, always and for all things.
    I recently purchased a new cable release and a miniature spirit level for the camera hotshoe (for architectural shots).

Both packets said, in huge letters...... "DIGITAL" !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak and Fuji will both reach a point where their film production becomes, for all practical purposes, unsustainable due to low volume. IDK when that will take place, but it will be related to cost, demand and number of trained workers. At that point, film from both companies will become uneconomical. I would think that it might take place in the next 10 years.

At that point, Kodak will have to decide on whether to use their existing small machines for production instead of trial coating. This may or may not work due to the amount of defects on the small prototyping machines.

In any event, there is a point at which all of the big companies cannot produce film. It requires high volume to yield good products. At that point we will be buying only B&W and probably Ilford will be at the top of the list. I hope that they can ramp up the production when this happens and if it happens.

So, there will come a point at which color film becomes a rare item and B&W will probably be our best and nearly only choice. Hand coating of film, plates and paper will become a viable option. Quality manufactured film and paper will not vanish but will become a luxury item or a boutique item. Hand coating may become popular again.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by faustotesta View Post
    What will you do when there will be only digital guitars around ?
    All of my instruments need digits to play them properly.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Kodak and Fuji will both reach a point where their film production becomes, for all practical purposes, unsustainable due to low volume. IDK when that will take place, but it will be related to cost, demand and number of trained workers. At that point, film from both companies will become uneconomical. I would think that it might take place in the next 10 years.

At that point, Kodak will have to decide on whether to use their existing small machines for production instead of trial coating. This may or may not work due to the amount of defects on the small prototyping machines.

In any event, there is a point at which all of the big companies cannot produce film. It requires high volume to yield good products. At that point we will be buying only B&W and probably Ilford will be at the top of the list. I hope that they can ramp up the production when this happens and if it happens.

So, there will come a point at which color film becomes a rare item and B&W will probably be our best and nearly only choice. Hand coating of film, plates and paper will become a viable option. Quality manufactured film and paper will not vanish but will become a luxury item or a boutique item. Hand coating may become popular again.

PE
    So the current very high quality colour film products may be only hanging to viability by a thread?

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    So the current very high quality colour film products may be only hanging to viability by a thread?
    Yes. Perception is reality, you know...

Ken
    "When making a portrait, my approach is quite the same as when I am portraying a rock. I do not wish to impose my personality upon the sitter, but, keeping myself open to receive reactions from his own special ego, record this with nothing added: except of course when I am working professionally, when money enters in,—then for a price, I become a liar..."

— Edward Weston, Daybooks, Vol. II, February 2, 1932

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The scaffolding of this thread seems to be deteriorating, not that it was ever that robust.

There is the fact that this year wasn't exactly the greatest on record for the film industry: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...956088352.html

Just curious if any posters to this thread know how many 3D film screenings are currently showing in their communities as a % of total screenings. How about the current count on digital projection and announced conversions?

Butts in seats--rather the lack of--seems to be the big issue. The inevitable shift to online access/distribution is likely to murder the theatre chains, regardless of how films are shown. PE's point seems moot in that version of the future.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ken,

I should have explained I was asking a question about whether there was a tipping point in sales decline beyond which Kodak or Fuji might struggle to continue production. I'm fully aware that if we keep buying the product it should continue to be produced not withstanding any other factors.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Is colour *that* hard to ramp up commercially, or do you think we'd see someone like Foma or Efke start to produce colour films (admittedly not to the QA standards of a Kodak or a Fuji, but probably better than most amateurs could do for themselves)?

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin