Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,288   Posts: 1,535,344   Online: 801

Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1418192021222324252627282930 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    P&S Neg=point and shoot neg, i.e., disposables? Or "consumer" film?

Kodak's Pos color is so low it falls under misc.?
    Yes, consumer film!

And yes, E6 would probably be under misc. It is certainly low in sales and has not been "driven" for improvements as has the Portra and Ektar films. Remember that these are my estimates. Call it an educated guess!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Looks like I did it the wrong way round then!

Steve.
    What? You took up photography because you thought they'd stop making guitars?
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is 35mm reversal ever shot in camera on a fairly large scale project?
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Kodak and Fuji will both reach a point where their film production becomes, for all practical purposes, unsustainable ... I would think that it might take place in the next 10 years.

So, there will come a point at which color film becomes a rare item and B&W will probably be our best and nearly only choice. Hand coating of film, plates and paper will become a viable option. Quality manufactured film and paper will not vanish but will become a luxury item or a boutique item. Hand coating may become popular again.

PE
    Exactly as I have been thinking to myself silently, which is why I've been latching on to every piece of info I can find about color separation, bromoil, dye transfer printing, and home-made coatings I can find.

Kind of a bummer that as soon as I get the kid out of college and have a few spare bucks for myself the hobby I treasured as a kid begins to fall apart.

So, if I have to make glass plates, then I'll make glass plates. If I have to hand coat paper, then I'll hand coat paper. If I have to boil plant stems or grind rocks to get my own color dyes, then I'll boil plant stems and grind rocks. But I've been waiting 25 years to get back into this, and no mere lack of commercial materials will stop me, regardless of what compromise must be made in the product.
    Michael Batchelor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    George Clooney said the Gulf War movie "Three Kings" was shot on cross-processed Ektachrome, though I read elsewhere it was actually Ektachrome with the bleach-bypass process.
    Last edited by lxdude; 09-09-2010 at 08:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not that I am a big fan of their products, but how much of Fuji's income is on the movie film in comparison to Kodak? How well would Fuji survive without their movie business?
    I don't know about Kodak, but Fuji has a broader product range than just film. They make a lot of offset printing plates, and a fair amount of magnetic media as well. However, to remain viable any independent production line has to have throughput. Even if somehow Fuji or Kodak started making a mint on some totally unrelated product, that wouldn't help the film side of the business. And the bean counters would eventually win out.
    Michael Batchelor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    NO.

Reversal products dupe and print poorly and therefore are not commonly used to make motion picture for distribution unless the distortion they offer is desired in the final product which IMHO would be awful.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have been investigating how one might make single color plates or color prints using information and chemicals available to anyone. Well, the information is there, but the chemicals are hard to get.

I have asked the Formulary, and they can get most any chemical you might want that is not restricted, but the cost is something else. So, until we have a real source via organic synthesis, this is a non-viable route. I do have synthetic routes to some easily used couplers and the structures of some dyes for dye bleach. If there are any organic chemists out there, I will be glad to post some information.

I have also asked 2 other companies, and one rather ignored me for the most part except for simple chemicals and the other is sluggish to say the least. I am working on sourcing things.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't remember it already being discussed in this thread but do you happen to know if there has also been a good decline in the demand for camera films lately?
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Without claiming to be an organic chemist, let me encourage you to post things. If an organic chemist materializes then they will find it.

It\'s always better to have too much information than too little. Or at least it\'s easier to sort with too much than fill in from too little.
    Last edited by michaelbsc; 09-09-2010 at 09:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Michael Batchelor

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin