Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,152   Online: 858

Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 162021222324252627282930 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    A good decline? Explain how a decline can be good first before I post.

PE
    I'm not trying to me a jerk PE, but Merrium Webster just told me that:

Good- d (1) : of a noticeably large size or quantity : considerable

That's where I was coming from.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    A good decline? Explain how a decline can be good first before I post.

PE

I think his question was tongue in cheek. Notice the smiley.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post

Well, no offense was intended. I was thinking in terms of the decline in analog sales as being bad for all of us. Sorry.

The decline in all photo products was catastrophic in about 2005 when Agfa and Ilford failed and Kodak exited B&W paper manufacturing. At that time the decline in analog product consumption was 35% in one quarter, and this was 4x the amount predicted by most industry models. Fuji was also taken aback by this sudden drop.

Since then, the decline has been steady for all products but Neg-Pos products declined slightly less than E6 products causing E6 to now be quite a bit lower on the scale. This year, there was a very sudden decline in ECP demand which brought down the house so to speak. Production of a major product went down catastrophically causing a big cutback in the production area.

I hope that gives you a feel for what is going on.

PE
    Last edited by Photo Engineer; 09-10-2010 at 08:05 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. It was an honest question---I didn't mean to sound like I presumed the answer was one way or another.

I'm not sure I understand this part. There isn't a huge warehouse full of E-6 that's been produced but not consumed, is there? Or are the slide products done in a large run that then goes out to market in a slow trickle (and what happens in between runs---is the machinery idled, or is it partly the same machinery that does C-41)?

-NT
    See my most recent post above for more explanation.

I have to clarify some points for you all though as my comment was vague.

E6 has declined, but is still viable, as it can be produced and sold in a timely manner. Kodachrome by comparison could not be sold in a timely manner. A master roll might sit here in the freezer for a year, being cut on demand as customers placed orders. E6 OTOH, can be made and cut at once and sold, as sales are high enough. It is just that E6 is coated on a less regular schedule than C41 or cine products by comparison.

For example, on a good week, cine products may run for a full day for several days, C41 takes up a day or two, and E6 products may run every other week. On that same scale, Kodachrome ran once a year! The difference is that the E6 product then sells to customers right away.

So, my comment was quite misleading. Sorry. I hope that this clarifies things.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikanon View Post
    I just turned 20 today, and since I was about 17 or 18 I have been a film photographer and seriously interested in the quantum physics and organic chemistry (technical understanding is just as important as the creative concept of an image!). I have studied very old texts from my university for the past year or so regarding photographic theory, coating and making emulsion, emulsion types and processes, as well as many other parts of photographic chemistry and sensitometry. If hand coating anything is what it takes for me to be able to shoot and print, then I will gladly become the 6th or 7th member of that group of 5 or 6. I may be young, but this is my passion, and I wont let a paradigm shift decide what makes me happy.
    Happy Birthday!

Keep reading and if you have questions, e-mail me or send a PM. I will try to help out. Make posts in the emulsion making forum and we can mull over and discuss things there too.

Just keep working on analog and don't let any quantum uncertainty creep in!

Quantum entanglement would be better in this so we can all move ahead and keep analog alive.

PE

Shooter
    35mm

Was this Fuji's response to the decline?

I'm still trying to understand how Fuji's recent discontinuation of many pro color negative (C-41) films fits into this situation. It has to be related somehow, right?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, this fits. Compare that with Kodak's discontinuing of some E6 products. They are mutually acknowledging dominance in sales of certain items. As I indicated in an earlier post, Fuji is ahead of Kodak in E6 product sales by a slight margin and Kodak is ahead of Fuji in C41 product sales. So, they are conceding the markets to each other in a small way by discontinuing the less profitable items.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    Exactly as I have been thinking to myself silently, which is why I've been latching on to every piece of info I can find about color separation, bromoil, dye transfer printing, and home-made coatings I can find.

Kind of a bummer that as soon as I get the kid out of college and have a few spare bucks for myself the hobby I treasured as a kid begins to fall apart.

So, if I have to make glass plates, then I'll make glass plates. If I have to hand coat paper, then I'll hand coat paper. If I have to boil plant stems or grind rocks to get my own color dyes, then I'll boil plant stems and grind rocks. But I've been waiting 25 years to get back into this, and no mere lack of commercial materials will stop me, regardless of what compromise must be made in the product.
    I applaud your determination! You're going to have a blast. And, I think you'll have more company than you suspect. PE counts 5 people making emulsions on APUG. I can think of more than that, and I'm pretty sure the number is growing at an increasing rate -- along with the quality of the initial efforts. I'm particularly optimistic for the younger crowd. They seem to have shed the idea that we have to compete with modern technology (at least to get started!) Preconceived notions can be the real killer of creativity and invention. Good luck, Nikanon!

PE, the fact that practicing emulsionmakers are a small crowd right now shouldn't be seen as a deterrent to your excellent technical posts. Information landing and taking root in just one individual is as valid as a bestseller. And, again, and if the emails that I get are any indication, a lot of people are interested in emulsionmaking. They just need encouragement and information. They might not become cooks overnight. Sometimes things have to come together over time, but come together they do if there's fire in the belly.

d
    www.thelightfarm.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Denise;

Thanks for an excellent post.

You have seen what is out there, but I am going by the APUG member reaction so I don't dispute what you have said from your real experiences. As for E-mail, I seem to attract the cranks. About half of my email is great and comes from enthusiastic people, but the other half can be divided into those convinced that digital is the only way out, disputing my efforts (and yours sometimes), and the other part are outright cranks, some claiming that my images are fakes. Well, in the face of your excellent results, I point them to your web site! That should cure them!

Keep up the good work!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    I applaud your determination! You're going to have a blast. And, I think you'll have more company than you suspect. PE counts 5 people making emulsions on APUG. I can think of more than that, and I'm pretty sure the number is growing at an increasing rate -- along with the quality of the initial efforts. I'm particularly optimistic for the younger crowd. They seem to have shed the idea that we have to compete with modern technology (at least to get started!) Preconceived notions can be the real killer of creativity and invention. Good luck, Nikanon!
    Thanks for the encouragement. It'[s heartening to know that there are others. And the digital age makes sharing ten thousand times easier than our fore-bearers had it in the 19th century.

Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    PE, the fact that practicing emulsionmakers are a small crowd right now shouldn't be seen as a deterrent to your excellent technical posts. Information landing and taking root in just one individual is as valid as a bestseller. And, again, and if the emails that I get are any indication, a lot of people are interested in emulsionmaking. They just need encouragement and information. They might not become cooks overnight. Sometimes things have to come together over time, but come together they do if there's fire in the belly.
    This kind of what I would love to see as well PE. While my experience is mostly from manufacturing, much like Steve's comment earlier, I'm not the kind of guy who developed the process. I upscale and mechanize processes that research guys have developed. I do believe that I could build a working coating line if I won the lottery, but I don't know how to coat!

If we collaborate, so that the ones who know the chemistry share that, then those of us who are good at implementation can work developing the work flow.

I dare say that in time we could come up with a "cook-book" with scores of recipes that any determined hobbyist could replicate with effort. We would need both the ingredients and the methodology, plus explanations how to organize the kitchen.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin