Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,887   Posts: 1,520,695   Online: 1112

Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121317 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    CGW;

I think that you can see that if I divulge exact figures and names, I will not only lose sources, but sources might have problems with EK ...

My posts are not always 100% accurate, but I try the best I can to be as accurate as possible. I hope that my past history speaks for itself ...

It seems to me you would rather keep questioning me than look at some of that reference material ...

Why?

PE
    It's probably so much easier to do nothing.
    Than to actually make an effort to do something ...

Ron,
    The Other Ron ...

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron LarFor4X5 View Post
    It's probably so much easier to do nothing.
    Than to actually make an effort to do something ...

Ron,
    The Other Ron ...
    I debate this constantly with myself!

Sometimes I wonder what I am doing here on APUG.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You are here to offer help and advice to APUGii Vulgaris.

Ron

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron LarFor4X5 View Post
    You are here to offer help and advice to APUGii Vulgaris.

Ron
    The guy who asked for a Martinus in Rome was asked in return "don't you mean Martini?". He replied, "If I want more than one, I'll ask for them."

I think APUG Vulgaris is enough for me! APUGii is more than I need.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PE, You Can Be Compared To Kodachrome.
    And don't it always seem to go, That we don't know what we've got till it's gone ...

I'm Just Saying ...

Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I debate this constantly with myself!

Sometimes I wonder what I am doing here on APUG.

PE
    Feeding the Trolls
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Policar,

Most multiplexes run film from platters which can play as much as 4 hours of film in one continuous loop. Properly maintained and operated, film can be make hundreds and hundreds of passes through a platter/projector system with virtually no damage but for minimal wear and tear at the edges. (The non-projected part of the film.)

After seeing how poorly most people treat film and after occasionally treating film poorly, myself, I steadfastly insist that more than 90% of what people attribute to "natural" degradation of film is really human error. I do not believe that the other 10% can be made up for with digital projection alone. Hard drive failures, other random system failures and general inattention to detail by theater employees will still exist, regardless of the medium used.

I believe that, in many cases, the superior visual quality of film presented by a competent, caring operator can surpass anything digital can produce. Therefore, the cost of scrapping your already paid for film equipment and going into debt by buying even more expensive digital equipment makes the conversion a false economy.

I like digital media. I think it is useful in many cases. Satellite broadcasts of the Metropolitan Opera would not be possible without it. But, I think the wholesale switchover from film to digital is not a good thing. Movie theaters are in enough trouble as it is. I don't think digital projection will save them if they don't mind the reason why they are in business to begin with.

I think the extinction of movie theaters, digital or film-based, is more of a threat to the demand/production of film than a switchover to digital projection.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ah Randy,

If only your skill and care could be applied by all projectionists (whoops, sorry candy bar button pressers who now "run the show")

As one who worked most of my life in motion picture production I was delighted to see a spotlessly clean, unscratched, in rack (or frame) image when I saw my first digitally projected theatrical film.

It fell to me on one occasion to double check the Sydney premiere print of Oscar winning "The Piano". Some way into the print the leading lady zipped across the screen several feet. The projectionist explained to me that he had damaged the print, but it was OK because he had removed that section and spliced it neatly. It wasn't fun ransacking Sydney for a replacement print at short notice.

I spent many long hours at one time checking used release prints of one of our productions that were intended for secondary rural cinemas. All had varying degrees of damage from previous runs.

Randy explains the fairly universal platter system, this makes flexibility of programming hard, it takes several hours to make up and break down a show, not very handy for a repertory style cinema.

However all of this is much less important that the whole chain of production/post production which presently finds material being transferred back and forth between digital and analogue media: film master transferred to digital for picture and sound editing, digital final cut matched back to film master negative, digital CGI (which becomes more and more used in every genre of film, not just the obvious SFX ones) converted to film (losing quality in the process) so as to be integrated into the matched film master neg. There are feature films being shot digitally BTW. It is apparent to me that the technical trend must be to a wholly integrated digital production, post and distribution regime.

I must agree very much with Randy's other point:

<<But, I think the wholesale switchover from film to digital is not a good thing. Movie theaters are in enough trouble as it is. I don't think digital projection will save them if they don't mind the reason why they are in business to begin with.

I think the extinction of movie theaters, digital or film-based, is more of a threat to the demand/production of film than a switchover to digital projection.>>

Regards - Ross

Shooter
    35mm
    ... it may be that the bedbug plague is scaring people away from theaters! ...
    This just happened last week at a Theater in Toronto scheduled to be used for the upcoming Toronto International Film Festival. Everyone is in a panic over bed bugs! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

Quote Originally Posted by Policar
    ... Of course it's greed that motivates the studios, but profit margins are so poor in the entertainment industry and the cost of product so high that "greed" and "staying in business" can be interchangeable. Just look at MGM. ...
    Hollywood makes a good $14 Billion Dollars or more per year. Those are not poor profit margins. The current MGM was created in 1986 by Kirk Kerkorian after he sold the original to Ted Turner, and then capriciously wanted to buy it back. Turner only sold him back the name and studio lot, and then renamed it the Turner Entertainment Company -- which was merged with Time-Warner in 1999. Warner Bros. now owns the MGM / UA / Selznick / RKO Movie Libraries, and the current MGM only owns post-1986 Movies. That's why the current MGM is not rich.
    Mr. Terry Mester

www.zeuter.com/~tlmester

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting thread, thanks all. Speaking of damaged prints, I went to a classic movie screening last night at my local theatre - they were playing Top Gun, and it was quite amazing how poor the print was. For substantial parts of the movie, it was literally *covered* in scratches running horizontally and vertically. Or a series of marks in the centre that eventually faded. Would this have been a 24 year old print perhaps? Looked like it had spent the last 24 years being dragged across the projection room floor :-)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin