Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,205   Online: 929

Page 1 of 30 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

A big blow to film production at Kodak and Fuji

I have just heard of a "silent" revolution affecting all companies making motion picture print films.

As 3D becomes more popular, theaters (except I Max) must convert to digital if they are to show 3D movies. This causes a huge decrease in the demand for color print film and reduces throughput at both Kodak and Fuji.

Another sad day for us.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hope you wrong, but if your right, what the hell!

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    I believe you. Here, even the cheap theaters are showing 3D movies now.

I hate 3D movies anyway.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have no use for 3D. It may pass like it did in the 50's (3D with smell-o-rama) but after it injures film manufacturing. I read somewhere that the push for 3D was partly to combat bootlegging. Who knows what will happen- we'll see.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Okay so a cinema puts in 3D digital capable equipment, but most Cinemas are Multiplex, so how big a change will that really be.

3D photography is older than both Kodak & Fuji but has still not broken through as a mainstream product after well over 120 years.

I've seen superb 3D MF photography, but it's a distraction, how important is it for Cinema, most people will say not really. It's far more important for interactive gaming etc.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Theaters are steadily converting to digital regardless of 3D--it's just a matter of how fast it happens. 3-D is the same crappy gimmick it's always been, but it allows theaters to charge a premium for tickets. Film distributors would love nothing more than to switch over to digital distribution to save the enormous costs of making and shipping film prints. I think there will plenty of cinematographers that continue to insist on shooting film, but the distribution channels will be mostly digital. A lot depends on the cost/benefit of converting screens to digital. It's still very expensive for the complete setup that includes projectors/servers/etc. and theatre owners know it will all be obsolete quickly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm no expert, but recall reading somewhere before, that the current movie industry practice is to archive all digital footage on film. Besides I imagine most of the movie footage that's currently shot is already more than likely digital. Many directors still like to shoot on film stiil, but I wonder if the final result is not digitised for production, having been captured/ shot on film.

I don't think the state of the film production market is in such a perilous state anymore, and has rebounded quite a bit since the initial digital tsunami. Perhaps Fuji/ Kodak may end up selling their film production business, but film is going to be around for quite a while I suspect.

Some companies are being pretty shrewd and marketing film to the older end of the amateur market as a way to simplify again, and just shoot a roll and have someone else worry about the developing and printing. Much of my parents generation do not want to have to go near a computer unnecessarily, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a potentially big swing back to film among the more mature, lower volume enthusiast shooters out there.

Myself, I do not have too much fear of film disappearing. Hell, if there is a sustainable market for 35mm, 120, 4x5 and 8x10 film to remain in production after the backside fell out of the film industry with the mass migration of casual shooters to digital, then I think we'll be ok.

I think the shine has gone off digital these past few years, and sense is returning, with most people now deciding on what to shoot on the basis of what they need. Only way for film is up, the way I see it, regardless of what happens with the movie industry or other current large industry consumers of film.

The film market already reached bottom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Food for thought is that Digital films are being archived on FILM

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 3D craze has been an incentive for theaters to convert to digital. And, due to the premium cost for the tickets, it helps defray the cost of the conversion!

Even if it is a short lived craze, it is doing damage at the present time to print film production and is causing a decrease in film production. This decreases profit at EK and Fuji and decreases the number of trained people able to make the films we want.

Even if 3D vanished this year, print film consumption would have been rather badly damaged. This is my understanding of the situation as it now stands!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Except for the fact that Techniclor Entertainment is pushing a "new" 3-D system that uses film:
    http://www.technicolor.com/en/lo/3d-...in-the-theater

Basically, a re-introduction of existing technology but it's cheaper and easier to use than ripping out a $50,000 film projector and replacing it with a $250,000 digital projector JUST so you can show 3-D movies.

Besides, a lot of people are beginning to think that the current 3-D fad is almost over.

Bottom line: I don't think it will have as great an effect as some people think.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Page 1 of 30 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin