Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,697   Posts: 1,482,547   Online: 883

Shooter
    Medium Format

Sources for 400 CN films

I see where Kodak does not offer its 400CN film anymore, but Simon Galley confirms that Harman will continue to offer their SX2 in 120 size, but they can't make 220.
    I heard somewhere that a C41 process film was made in China.

Any source for that rumor?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    -) I don't know of Kodak discontinuing "BW CN 400". Though it seems type 120 is gone.

-) China Lucky Film is listing a type 135 400 ISO b&w film based on C-41 colour technology
    Last edited by AgX; 09-07-2010 at 11:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In Ilford's case I think you mean XP2 Super.

As far as I can tell, there never has been any C41 B & W films available in 220 size.

There also is or was Fuji Neopan 400 CN, but it wasn't or isn't as widely distributed as others in Canada.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak's 400CN is now only available in the 35mm size as far as I have heard.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    I know there was a limited run of (made-in-China) Lucky SHD400CN (c-41 400 ISO B&W) in 35mm around 2006 - it was listed on Lucky's website, so I contacted a Taiwanese eBay film seller at that time, and he was able to get me some. As I recall, it was not bad - it resembled XP2 Super more than Kodak's BW400CN as it had a green-tinted base (sorry, I don't have any examples handy at the moment). I seem to recall it was only finished/packaged for 35mm at that time.

I think I bought 10 rolls of it. When I asked about buying more a few months later in Dec. 2006, he checked and was told there was no more, and they had no plans to produce any more unless someone was willing to pre-order 1.5 million 36 exp. 35mm rolls.

The seller I dealt with at the time was "isaac.chen" on eBay - he had contacts at the Lucky factory and was an honest seller at that time - if you can find him there it might be worth asking him directly.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Multi Format
    UltrafineOnline (Photo Warehouse) has it in 35mm and 120.

http://www.ultrafineonline.com/koblwhficpr.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I managed to get some out of date Kodak 220 in 400cn. Kodak said yesterday in an email that they only make it in 135 now.

They said you could used Portra VC and digitally process to b/w. shows how far the digital inroad are.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by herb View Post
    ...They said you could used Portra VC and digitally process to b/w. shows how far the digital inroad are.
    I'd say they're right and IMHO, BW400CN wouldn't be sorely missed if it was gone. Let's see... BW400CN is a film that would give BW prints on RA4 paper, but it's not the best choice if you want to print traditionally on real BW paper. Nowadays, the vast majority of minilabs are digital, so you can get BW prints from any medium, be it C41, or whatever else. You only need to ask for it. So, I'd dare say that any 400ISO Portra is a fine substitute if you're scanning or printing with a digital minilab. As an added bonus, you don't have to use yellow - orange - red - whatever filters if you're going to scan. You can do some post processing and you don't have to lose at least one stop of speed.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice film, but IMHO, it doesn't really serve a purpose nowadays.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin