Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,959   Posts: 1,558,096   Online: 1080

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The last time I attended a one year old's birthday party, I shot 220.

It was colour, but it was 220.

Solution - shoot more colour!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by aoresteen View Post
    I see that there is some interest in 70mm DP HP5 (PLEASE MAKE IT!!!!!!!!!!).
    Going over the ground we covered before, Harman are quite prepared to make 70mm, but they won't stock it; they want a dealer to act as a backer. The quantity involved isn't outrageous, but on a time-delimited product there have to be more users prepared to take a few rolls. Which means all the closet 70mm people with their freezers full of old deleted emulsions should invest a little in keeping the format alive. See the start of the 70mm thread running now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We're screwed for b/w 220. Stock up, and enjoy the last of it while you can. Then again, all we had available for some time was TXP, so it was pretty clear that b/w 220 was on its last legs. The discontinuation of TXP in 220 is a low-down bloody shame, but it doesn't really change things all that much alone. What really gets me is that Kodak eliminated TXP in 120 as well, so it only exists in sheet formats (and who knows for how long).

Why it was never immensely more popular than 120, and why so few people know about it, I just do not understand. The occasions in which I would rather shoot 120 than 220 in anything other than a red-window camera are very rare.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Reed View Post
    Going over the ground we covered before, Harman are quite prepared to make 70mm, but they won't stock it; they want a dealer to act as a backer. The quantity involved isn't outrageous, but on a time-delimited product there have to be more users prepared to take a few rolls. Which means all the closet 70mm people with their freezers full of old deleted emulsions should invest a little in keeping the format alive. See the start of the 70mm thread running now.
    Martin,

My freezer is empty of 70mm!!! Has a dealer stepped up yet? You are right we who use 70mm need to buy now even if we do have a roll or two in the freezer.
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Cambo 23SF, Hasselblad, Mamiya M645, Rolleiflex 2.8C
    Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Leica M4-P M3 IIIf RD Contax IIa Nikon SP
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

http://www.oresteen.com/ROLLEI4X4.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The problem is not just 70mm film. It is getting 70mm with the perforations for Hasselblad. Then, if that is achieved, getting it processed or tanks that can handle the processing.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format

You would think TIP would take over these.

I suppose Kodak,Ilford and Fuji would never license these formats, but it seems someone like The Impossible Project could take over some of these. Even if they did a run every three months of one format, and then switch to another, well I think they or someone like them could make a go of it. You almost get the feeling that the big film companies with perhaps the exception of Fuji want to put film behind them as quickly as possible. If only a million rolls of 220 B/W were made, and a million of some of the other things that have been discontinued, a small company could make a good profit. As for the Polaroids films made by TIP, I think that is going to be a very small market. As those cameras break down, the demand will fall off. Medium format cameras are still being made and thus there should be a market for years to come. That is my logic, so why isn't someone making this stuff?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some years ago I had thought about a 220 back for my RB67, now I kinda glad I didn't get one. Too bad about B&W 220.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric Trexell View Post
    I suppose Kodak,Ilford and Fuji would never license these formats, but it seems someone like The Impossible Project could take over some of these. Even if they did a run every three months of one format, and then switch to another, well I think they or someone like them could make a go of it. You almost get the feeling that the big film companies with perhaps the exception of Fuji want to put film behind them as quickly as possible. If only a million rolls of 220 B/W were made, and a million of some of the other things that have been discontinued, a small company could make a good profit. As for the Polaroids films made by TIP, I think that is going to be a very small market. As those cameras break down, the demand will fall off. Medium format cameras are still being made and thus there should be a market for years to come. That is my logic, so why isn't someone making this stuff?
    TIP is not the "the future of analog film" as so many people decry. The filmstock is coated by Ilford, the chemistry is made by a third party, and all TIP does is put it in a package and sell it. Besides that fact, have you looked at the price that the TIP films are being sold at? The $21 a pack is more than double what Polaroid sold the last packs of its film for. Would you be willing to pay $12 a roll for Tri-X in 220, when you can get 2 120 rolls for $6?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have two 220 backs for my RZ, and I was kind of bummed that they will become paperweights, and then I realized... "wait, I can shoot some color film with those!! duh!!" So, I have a package of 5 rolls of Portra 400 NC. One roll has been exposed. Might as well take this moment to play around with some color films that are still made in 220!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have just picked up shooting 220 on portrait sessions. I'll use it while it's here. What if we all got together to see if Kodak would do a special order like they do for ultra large formats and other things?
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin