Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,968   Online: 1071

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    +1 for Vision 500T. I think the obvious appeal is fast & tungsten, something new to me!

But for the sake of comparison, what other films are there? Is there Fuji as well? I'll check it out...

I emailed the lab and mentioned how this could honestly create a new market, albeit a niche w/in a niche, but I know there are people who want to use movie film and have had the idea, but when they learn that the process is different and so forth, the archival integrity is jeopardized, etc., it loses its appeal fast.

But the first 35mm shooters did this, so it's kind of cool to bring the idea back.

edit: damn, the more I look, the more I salivate.... 50D anyone?! Kodak's Velvia? hahaha... this could open up a whole new world.
    Last edited by holmburgers; 11-05-2010 at 10:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    but when they learn that the process is different and so forth, the archival integrity is jeopardized, etc., it loses its appeal fast.
    I am not aware of any archival stability issues with ECN-II when processed in the intended chmistry. Older color films (whether ECN, early ECN-II, C-22, early C-41, E4, and early E6 ones) clearly had archival issues. But I was under the impression that these have mostly been solved in today's films and chemistry. I doubt you would find your images gone in 30 years. We have some old ECN-II negatives that were taken of me as a baby, and there are still images on them. Again, I doubt this is an issue worth considering.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, sorry, I must've caused confusion. I mean that doing ECN-II film in C-41 jeopardizes the archival stability. And that's the way that a lot of cine-still shooters have to go.

But doing ECN-II in the intended process if very appealing

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Having a fast, tungsten balanced film is the biggest thing I miss in still photography vs. motion picture.

The Vision 500T looks great.

And Cinelab are highly recommended. They are a rare resource for the motion picture community -- very professional and reasonably priced, even for high-end processes like a Rank Cintel telecine (film to video transfer.) I have used them for Super 8 with Vision 500T and wrote about them for two different filmmaking magazines. Good people, good quality.

If Cinelab are willing to process short snips of ECN-II then I will be excited to shoot some 500T. Seems like a no-brainer for both indoor event photography and low light street photography.
    My other camera is a Pentax

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All film should switch to being either ECN-2 or C-41 ...I think 500T would be the best choice since many of the situations we would use tungsten for would work best with a higher ISO..
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    All film should switch to being either ECN-2 or C-41
    Seriously! Maybe someday that will be a viable cost saving measure for Kodak and Fuji.

500T does sound awesome, and why there are/were no high-speed tungsten films is beyond me, honestly. Why would anyone need a 1600 daylight film??? It makes no sense

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    OK, asking here since this is the newer thread: anyone succeeded in getting cinelab to process a 36-exposure roll of ECN-2 film?

Duncan

Shooter
    35mm
    500T does sound awesome, and why there are/were no high-speed tungsten films is beyond me, honestly.
    My dream film would be Fuji Pro 800T

Fastest tungsten film back then was Scotch 640T
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    frobozz, Ektagraphic claims to have had success with cinelab. I emailed them and never heard a thing, so IDK. Maybe it's not their idea of a good time, even though they'll do it occasionally. I think a lab could make a small side-biz doing this though
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    35mm
    frobozz, Ektagraphic claims to have had success with cinelab. I emailed them and never heard a thing, so IDK. Maybe it's not their idea of a good time, even though they'll do it occasionally. I think a lab could make a small side-biz doing this though
    Try calling them. They answered and talked at length when I called. I think you'll have more success on the phone. I spoke with Brad. I'm personally too busy with Kodachrome at the moment to do anymore with this.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin