Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,276   Online: 788

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Kidwell View Post
    Muck Falmart!
    Casey, you really need to not hold back your thoughts. Please open up and express your views more clearly.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Kidwell View Post
    Muck Falmart!
    I get the first word, but we don't have Malmarts around me.

Shooter
    Multi Format

That has been coming for years I think.

When my local Wal-Mart was built some 20 years ago, they had every sort of film that first month you could imagine. Even Polaroid Pack film in the peel a part packs. Then when that sold out, no more. Then they had every sort of Fuji and Kodak film. Then one day I went in there and they were selling out all slide film. Now they only sell Kodak film in packs of four, and only 400 speed I think. Up until about a year ago, 35mm film developing was super cheap. I always thought they must be subsidizing it as it only cost me about $2.25 for a 24 exposure roll. Now it is $6.50 or more. It used to take 3 days for 35mm film, now it takes a week. I can still get 120 film developed cheaper there than 35mm. MF film is only about $2.00 but I have noticed developer on the negs. I can get 35mm film developed at the camera store in nearby Oshkosh for $6.50 and it is done in a few hours. The weird thing is that the cameras that my Wal-mart has are not expensive SLR's, they are all those little dinky digitals. It almost looks like Wal-Mart in not only moving away from film, but from photography all together. Ric.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric Trexell View Post
    The weird thing is that the cameras that my Wal-mart has are not expensive SLR's, they are all those little dinky digitals. It almost looks like Wal-Mart in not only moving away from film, but from photography all together. Ric.
    I think the "little dinky digitals" are what the bulk of Wal-Mart's clientele buys (north of 90% I'm sure), so they've ceded the DSLR market to Best Buy. They may be rapacious but they're not dumb. On the other hand, I haven't bought film (or much else) from Wal-Mart in years, so it makes little difference to me.

(Side note: I know right where Berlin, WI is, and that it's pronounced "BER-lin", not "Ber-LIN" (same with New Berlin, for that matter). I used to live in Madison and worked for a guy who grew up in that area.)
    Pentax: 6x7 MLU
    Olympus: OM-1n
    Graflex: Miniature (2x3) Speed Graphic

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used to buy the 24 exp. $1/roll Polaroid branded C-41 film they had, for my GF's P&S camera. Worked fine. I don't know who made it, but at a buck a roll, I doubt it was one of the Big 2.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric Trexell View Post
    those little dinky digitals
    Ric, I believe the technical term you want is "digi-snapper" or "thingies".
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yeah, as I hear it, Wallyworld refused to carry 10 sheet boxes of 8x10 film. They insisted on 50 sheet boxes because they thought the 10 sheet boxes weren't "green" enough
    John Bowen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin